German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Need thoughts quickly ...should have posted earlier... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/477394-need-thoughts-quickly-should-have-posted-earlier.html)

lyssa62 08-04-2014 06:40 PM

Need thoughts quickly ...should have posted earlier...

Roxy's first night of dog classes (again) ;) <---whole nother' story --

should I try to force her/coax her to eat before class ? this one is at 6 instead of our usual 7....OR can she eat after? It will take me about 20 minutes to drive home from the place and really since it's obedience other than the stress factor of it..it's not like she's running a marathon...but I'm one of those 1 hour before eating no exercise and 1 hour after non. So I'm kind of stuck ....and yes it's probably a silly no brainer but I need input.

Steve Strom 08-04-2014 06:41 PM

Don't feed her before, especially if you use treats for training.

Steve Strom 08-04-2014 06:43 PM

And try to have some fun. No stress allowed.

lyssa62 08-04-2014 07:05 PM

ok that was kind of my gut instinct here ...and I have my pockets padded full of frozen cheese sticks which was suggested before as a good snack for training....she's just not food focused at all ....she is prey driven ...other than that she's like ADD and all over the place :) but I love her more than life itself and we will get through these classes and move on...even if it takes us 2 years.

thanks Steve! :) I'll update when I get home

David Winners 08-04-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyssa62 (Post 5864186)
.she's just not food focused at all ....she is prey driven ...

All the more reason to not feed before class.

David Winners

Cassidy's Mom 08-04-2014 09:19 PM

I agree with Steve and David. If possible, I always feed after a class rather than before. Waiting a couple extra hours is not going to hurt her. I did make an exception Halo's puppy class, it started at 11:00 AM on a Saturday, and by the time class ended and we drove home, she would have been getting breakfast between 1 and 2 PM, depending on whether or not we stopped for lunch on the way home. Since she's always been ridiculously food driven I went ahead and gave her a small meal first thing in the morning. Didn't make a bit of difference, she was just as willing to work.

For a less food motivated puppy I might have just waited and fed after. For evening classes I always fed after since the dogs aren't used to a super regular dinner schedule anyway.

MichaelE 08-04-2014 09:42 PM

The puppy doesn't seem to be motivated by food or treats. If you use her prey drive to train her, I don't think treats come into the picture. At least in my experience.

I do not use treats for training or motivation and I say feed the dog if she's hungry before class. Maybe it will keep her mind off of eating if her motivation is prey.

'Course I've only been doing this for 25 years so what do I know?

lyssa62 08-04-2014 10:43 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psd676e478.jpg<still not focused on me in this picture but not jumping and acting mush brained at the other dogs around her either .

first night of class...different trainer ...really like this one too. MUCH better at not messing or yapping at the other dogs. Focus not 100% on me ...but the first class none of the dogs were really focused on their owners....I think we got in with a great group of dogs this time. Nobody was really reacting to each other...at all the other class the first couple of classes they were just all acting like mush brains. Tonight was very nice and educational. I stayed with the lady after class and we discussed the lack of motivation by treats ( although the frozen cheese sticks did work a little bit better tonight)....I am trying hot dogs next week..and she also noticed how roxy is a bit add with stuff going on around her but she said she's still basically a puppy -- not as an excuse but just meaning that I just need to work a little bit different with her. She suggested I take Roxy to the park on our long lead and to be by distractions but further away than we are when we walk and work on WORKING...the come, sit, stay, down, leave it etc ..with distractions more in the distance and then start making the space smaller and smaller but to go slow at it.

I was just THRILLED the wanting to play with all the dogs really didn't come into play tonight. I had her down there twice last week ( as a member I can take her in the building to work her)....so I had her down there to do extra work with her ( when it was too hot to work out in the yard here)....so I wonder if she kind of understands now that building is a working place / job and not a mcdoggie playground.