Walking an unneutered male - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Walking an unneutered male

Hi I'm new here and recently found two stray german shepard dogs days ago and haven't been able to find the owner. Lately the male has been getting a bit playful yet I don't want to engage with em just yet in case he bites too hard not knowing his strength and I have no toys at the moment for him to play with. I had bought a leash for them and was wondering if it's illegal to walk an unneutered dog in california. The area I live in has few dogs and the route I was planning to take has no houses and he's been nice to people and even the several times I've encountered dogs he is very unusually calm especially for an unneutered dog he doesnt bark back even at barking dogs.

TL/Dr: Is it illegal to walk an unneutered dog
SlashingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

i never heard anything like that but then again i dont live in california...i dont think it is though...what kind of law would that be?
owens91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So you have a male and a female? Neither are fixed? Are you going to keep both of them? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get an understanding if the situation.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was gonna make a different thread later after the walk if legal in the newcomers section detailing the dogs with pics but yes one is male and the other is female. Sadly I could financially only care for one and not both. I'd only have enough for vaccinations(I assume they dont have any since no chip and they had choke chains so owner must not have handled em well) a chip the neuter stuff like that for only one not both as much as I'd like to keep both. They're both chill but the female is bit more stubborn(she's the dominant between the two) but I'd like the male since he looks younger, more obedient and I prefer male dogs
Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Bless you for taking them in!
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I can't think of why it is illegal to do lol. After all, people who live in that state are bound to have unaltered dogs. There's three unneutered males and two unspayed females in my house. Granted I live in Idaho, but as long as you have control of the dog, it should work I would think.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

It is not illegal in CA to walk neutered dogs.

Choke chains don't mean the owners treated them badly.

Did you post on craigslist for lost dogs or let the shelter list the dogs as lost dogs? The owners may be looking for them. The pictures you posted in the other thread look like dogs that were loved or well taken care of but may have gotten loose and lost. Also, depending on how much ribs are showing, it is not unusual for a growing german shepherds to show a little bit of ribs (even in an adult) if they are purposely kept lean. Mine show ribs too that is especially apparent when she runs. If the dogs have been lost for a few days, that could make the ribs protrude even more.

Sometimes these dogs aren't really stray but are dogs that are used to be let out to wander and can get back on their own. You might want to consider going back to the area that they were found and post pictures of the dogs with your contact info.

Where are you in CA?
Bear L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you everyone and for saying it wasn't illegal just wanted to make sure. Unfortunately it started raining soon after I posted and I could tell they disliked it so while my mom was gone I just took them in the house in the kitchen and put them out before my mom returned thankfully the rain stopped. As for craiglist I've never gone on the site but I have posted in several lost and found groups of animals and gave three nearby shelters photos along with the nearby vet where I checked for chips.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Your lucky the nearby shelters allowed u to send pics. When I found a lost dog a year ago, the kill shelter told me I had to bring him in within 48 hours or id be fined. How ridiculous. They did not want to help me find his owner. I took him to the vet to check for a microchip, but there was none. After 48 hours of trying to find the owner, poor thing was matted and underfed. I found a home for him.

Its not illegal to walk an an unneuteted dog. However depending where u live in calif, your dog may have to be neutered or you can be fined.

My dog is 1 1/2 years old and is also not used to the rain. Hes only seen rain about 3 times in his life. We were out walking when the rain started. He kept shaking his head lol, however I was so glad to finally have some rain I continued walking him another 30 mins in it. He was fine after that. I wouldnt be surprised if these young dogs were not used to rain either..lol

Last edited by Msmaria; 08-04-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Really? I thought many shelters would allow that on a bulletin that's a shame they did that to you probably only looking for money sucks they left the dog like that that's why I don't want to leave the female there. I never specify online specifically where I'm at for safety reasons but I was planning on neutering the male soon I'm going to the vet today to see the costs of neuters and a chip and it's vaccines. Haha ya the dog kept pawing their faces in the rain or laying down with both paws in front of their face it was so cute yet funny that they only had to go to the side of the house to get a spot free from the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.