Severe Issues with 1 year old (escaping crate) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Severe Issues with 1 year old (escaping crate)

I am very frustrated at this point. My 1 year old boy cannot live outside of a crate when I'm at work .. as he is very destructive .. chews on my furniture, ripped up my carpets .. etc you get the point.

This behavior does not happen when I'm home or it would be corrected .. only when I'm away

He learned to escape the crate about 4 months ago .. so I used twist ties to secure every part of the crate so he couldn't get out. He now learned to bend the wires and escape .. which I would have no control of and there's no way I can secure that part.

In the last 3 days ... he's escaped every time. He's also injured himself every time. He's been very lethargic, limping, etc.. He runs the risk of breaking his neck, or strangling himself to death if he gets caught in the wires

I can't have him outside the crate with the ability to ruin my apartment and cause me thousands in damages

At this point what do I do? Give him to somebody who can spend more time? Can I leave him in my walk in closet?

Thanks in advance for your replies
chpurc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Have you tried a different type of crate? I use a plastic airline type crate for my boy and he's never escaped from it. You might look for one on craigslist or something similar as they are not that cheap. However, it's probably cheaper than a bunch of household repairs.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

ive been in that spot and its a tough one. i dont have any clear cut answers, but only a few ideas to offer...

twist ties are not going to hold back any bored/determined GSD. If you put him in your WIC he'll probably rip your clothes off the hangers and use them as toys. can you get a gate and put him in the kitchen?
can you afford a daytime dog walker? or to put him in day camp?
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here are some other crate options for you. No affiliation with the vendor and I don't have any personal experience with these crates. But they look quite sturdy and some appear to be "escape proof".

Crates & Kennels: Police K9, Military K9 and Schutzhund Working Dog Equipment

http://www.elitek9.com/images/KC09-350.jpg

Also, how long is he kept in his crate each day? You might also consider a dog walker to come to your house, let him out and give him some exercise while you are at work. Or perhaps a doggie day care.

I would also suggest increasing his exercise and obedience training. He might need to burn more physical and mental energy before he can relax in the crate for a while. Give him plenty of good things to chew on (e.g. stuffed kong, raw knuckle bone, cow ear, etc) to keep him busy.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

this is beyond bored it sounds like separation anxiety
short of a ft knox type crate you will have to leave him elsewhere until you can do something else and train him
medications may help but you still have to desensitize him to your leaving

i would also suggest dog day care but one that is closely supervised
many people come on here and state their dogs have been injured at day cares
Old 07-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A kennel probably wouldn't work in an apartment. If you had a garage or basement, I guess it depends on whether you are a townhouse apartment or a flat.

I agree, get a bigger, badder crate. They have some that are very strong. The midwest i-crate is a joke, seriously. Most of my dogs are fine in the cheap walmart crates, but they don't have this problem. The dog that did have this problem, I went ahead and reinforced a strong crate with angle iron, and threaded rods, but, I think they make some really tough crates these days.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How much exercise is your dog getting every day?

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He knows he can get out of that particular crate. Throw it out instead of trying to make THAT crate work. Get something bigger and thicker.

Have you tried a peanut butter kong in the crate? I know it sounds simple but it's magic for Venus.

She's a smallish girl, very willowy and not particularly tall. At 6 months old she started taking crates apart. At 9 months old she ended up at the vet because she gouged up her face under her eyes trying to go UNDER the door. Which was the only part of the crate that wasn't shackled together with steel towing shackles rated for something like 5000 lbs.

Friend of mine was redoing her house and saw the picture on facebook what Venus did to herself. She sold me this monster that had belonged to her crate smithy dog before he grew up. Held a much bigger shepherd than Venus and it holds Venus. She's 18 months, still screams at me if I try to leave her wtihout a kong...

The crate on the right is a 42" - you can see where she took the bottom apart with her face. The silver crate my male is in is a 54". Both of my dogs can have a party in that thing...

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.

Last edited by SunCzarina; 07-30-2014 at 10:55 PM.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Location: Clio, California, close to anyway. Live in a remote mountain area.

Good job dog! Fight for your freedom! Humans, you cram yourself in a crate and see how you like it.
Skywalkers Mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

skywalker seriously??
have you ever had an SA dog?

Quote:
he is very destructive .. chews on my furniture, ripped up my carpets .. etc you get the point.
this dog is going to injure itself and quite frankly sa is one of the toughest things a dog owner can deal with behaviorally
many many shelter dogs are in shelters due to this disorder

i would be heartbroken if my own dog was dong this
crates do not hurt dogs one bit and two benefits stand out
1 - you know dog is safe while you are away
2 - you know your home is safe while you are away

the destruction can be overwhelming and sa dogs and owners only salvation can be a crate so it is doubly devastating when a dog cannot be contained

to the op for starters
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...nxiety+in+dogs
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.