What would your response be to this email..? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What would your response be to this email..?

Hi all,
I am new here. As I mentioned in my hello message, I have a neighbor who has a GSD and a Husky and while I have a small breed am trying to learn how to deal with the situation. There are pretty limited areas to ask for advice, and I am trying to get a GSD owner's perpective.

This neighbor totally keeps to himself. Bothers with noone. My husband has made small talk with him, but that is about it. Anyhoo, his dogs have been frequently loose. Husband talked to him about it and it continues to be a problem. He previously told husband that they have an invisible fence and the battery on the collar died. Not sure if husband misunderstood or what, because anytime I've seen these dogs, I do not see collars on them. Pretty sad and scary for them (the dogs).

Not only has it been a problem with these dogs crapping in our yard, but it is not smart to let them run loose. Granted things can happen but when it happens this often it gets to be concerning.

He has told my husband that his dogs are well-trained, but then why are they often in our yard..? I don't understand it. My guess is that since we got our little dog (a bichon mix, 11 lbs full grown), that they are suddenly 'fascinated' with our yard. Husband refuses to talk to the man again and since he keeps to himself I am not easy going to talk to him, not to mention there is another GSD in the yard I would have to walk through to get to this man's house. So that makes (3) unfamiliar large-breed dogs that are un-restrained that I would be subjected to, plus this man is known to pack a gun and has a huge gun fascination, so it is probably not a great idea to go knocking on his door, after all, I am pretty much a stranger.

When his dogs were in our yard the other night, I decided to do something, give a warning. So I sent him an email on facebook.

Am I wrong to have sent this email..? Is all of this no big deal..? I know my email is pretty lengthy, but I wanted to convey my concerns. I feel like I was a little overly cautious but I wanted to express my concerns. It seems this man has no regard for others, not even his own dogs..

I am hoping I did not make a bad situation worse, but I did not know what to do. I would appreciate any advice on this matter. I mean, after all, he is apparently going to live there a long time with these dogs, so I want to nip any problem in the bud before something bad happens.

I am not tryng to turn this into a big dog vs little dog debate, I honestly am wanting feedback and any possible advice. The man clearly does not want to be 'bothered' so it makes it difficult.

Hi,
I believe you are the neighbor in the house behind us.

We saw your dogs running loose again today.

This is more than a little concerning not only because we have a small dog and there are also small children in the neighborhood (one right next door), but also for the safety of your own dogs.

I am asking you to PLEASE be more careful and PLEASE keep your dogs restrained. I believe my husband has already talked to you quite some time ago and unfortunately this continues to be a problem. They were both loose and in our yard just a couple weeks ago.

Please keep your dogs in your yard. If the invisible fence is a problem then maybe it is time to seek alternatives to keep your dogs restrained.

As a concerned neighbor and a small dog owner if I see this happening again I will be calling the dog warden or the township police. It is as much for others' safety as it is for your own dogs' safety.

I would really hate for something bad to happen.

Thank you and I hope you will cooperate and be a responsible dog owner.
-end-
msh07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

While I think your heart was in the right place if I was the type to let me dogs run loose even after a neighbor mentioned it, I don't think the email would change my behavior.

What might change my behavior is a visit from Animal Control and a ticket for loose dogs.

But that can always open up another can of worms and you would have to make sure that you are fine with the possibility of AC seizing the dogs or a war with the neighbor.

Just my two cents..................
Old 07-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with Betty, I would just contact AC, keep a log of when you see the dogs in your yard/loose whatever..

Since you don't really know these dogs, they could easily hurt or kill a small dog, I'd consider fencing in my own yard to keep my dogs safe as well.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

As a responsible pet owner I would apologize but as a responsible owner my dog would never be out unsupervised. Unfortunately you are dealing with uncaring dog owner. My dogs safety is number 1 for me, so I would call animal control and report it. You would be doing the dogs a favor and possibly saving their lives.
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

The email is good, gives them a chance to make it right. After that I would report the dogs at large to AC every time they're out, then get a fence.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

i never would have said anything to him. nor call AC. i would just call the cops. AC is stretched far and thin. who knows how long it will take for them to show up. the cops will be there in 2 minutes knocking on his door with a summons.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Depends on locale. Here, AC is responsible for dogs at large. Whether they come or not, when you call the report is recorded, so if you call every time you see them out, it develops a nice long history...
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Some people may have a fb account but are seldom on it. Are you certain he's going to see the message? I would try to have a chat with him to be sure he read it, and let him know your next step will be calling AC or whoever is in charge of loose dogs.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am wondering how you got his e-mail address, just curious? I thing your e-mail was very respectful under the circumstances and that it is good to treat him like a fellow human being, giving him a chance to rectify before letting the law handle it. But if it continues, I would call the cops or AC or whoever handles such issues in your area.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

I agree with Bridget. You may want to send him a letter to make sure he reads your message.
But if he is given warnings by the police it still doesn't mean he will keep his dogs out of your yard. He can let them loose again and apologize to the cops every time. I will put up a fence just to be safe. He obviously doesn't care.
AniB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.