Boarding- multiple dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boarding- multiple dogs

I have 4 gsds and have never kenneled/boarded these dogs- have had a dog walker when I had 3 and that was difficult because one can be aggressive to strangers- I have not been able to have a vacation in years as a result-
What do multiple dog owners do?
Just board them and do not feel guilty- also some kennels that let them run free will not take them as they are intact and gsds.

Last edited by armauro; 07-22-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling
armauro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Incredibly difficult - I haven't had a real vacation in years as I have several, and all are intact. I cannot send them to a boarding facility as I do minimal vaccination and raw - plus I don't want my dogs picking up any nonsense from a public facility.

I could send two or three to several different people so it's not overwhelming. Best thing is to have someone come there twice a day to feed, exercise, and potty - or get a house sitter.

Usually I just take them along as I have a dog trailer - too difficult to make arrangements for multiple large dogs. One must make big sacrifices when you start accumulating dogs - vacations have been one of mine
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I either have my sister stay at my house, or I board my GSDs at my friend's farm. She knows how to handle them and doesn't have any weird rules about breed, being intact, or extra vaccinations they have to have. She has large kennel runs and often I just pay for one and she keeps my dogs together. They spend most of the time out in her yard. Usually my sister will stay at my home with my two mutts, but I think it's good for the GSDs to learn to deal without me for a week or so each year.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Much rather have a house sitter than boarding the dogs...that way the house can run somewhat in the normal state while we're away. Though we also have reef tanks, cats , plants, parrots...ugh. Haven't had a real vacation in forever. We use to keep a boat at a marina, so long weekends happened, that was pre-GSD.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am doing that as we speak. My 2 GSD are at a boarding kennel and I farmed my Lab out to a friend. The GSD are in a giant indoor outdoor kennel together and will get playtimes.

Normally my sister houses it's for me, but it happens she is out of town too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have always had my Mother come and stay at my house with the dogs if I go on vacation. However, now she is getting older and may not be able to handle my two new GSD's. So, I am taking them to a cage free boarding kennel a few times a month for the day so they get to know the owner and feel comfortable there (also socialization). That way I have a place to take them if I need one. I am hoping this plan will work : )
Atika is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I travel overseas 4-5 times a year for a week to 10 days at a time. Both dogs are boarded. To the dogs it is like vacation time, they love visiting the countryside clubhouse and I never have to worry about them when away as I am very confident that they are in the right hands
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

We just invested in an RV in anticipation of getting our two german shepherd puppies in about a month. We enjoy traveling and look forward to having our GSD's with us. Considering kenneling them ~ 1X per month just to get them accustomed to the occasional times we need to board. We're open to suggestions!
Jake and Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

these cage free open kennels I know will not take intact males which I have 3, especially gsds.
armauro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

for the cost of boarding 4 dogs, you might be better off to hire a live in pet sitter...maybe a tech from your vets? or someone who might enjoy a week or two vacation in your Florida house while watching your dogs???

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.