Going to try e-collar with my Zelda,thoughts on e-collar.Progress or not?Life Update! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Going to try e-collar with my Zelda,thoughts on e-collar.Progress or not?Life Update!

Progress or not? I dont know you tell me!

And yes.. we're at it again!

Baby Z and I are going to start with a lady who does e-collar work, i checked her credentials, asked a couple people what they think of her from the forum and people i trust in person, talked to her over phone, e-mailed, researched her methods- and after putting all of that information, advice and comments into the big hat of decision making. I looked over it all and decided I am going to try it for Zelda and me. I have been wanting to do the e-collar. But would prefer to do it with a trainer.

We did a Petsmart Beginner Class.. Depending on the trainer, its good for well temperamented dogs, for basic guidance in tricks and manners. We learned clicker work, how to pace our training and also inspiration for more training. Also realized what i was dealing with her FA.

Than we got a private trainer, who helped me learn about Desensitization and Counterconditioning, and use with Zelda. Which helped me get from a level of total ridiculous behavior to communication.

Finally we did Reactive Rover, which is what i found to be very helpful in management and slow progression. And what Zelda can be capable of. Although she did shut down a lot in class, by the last class she made great improvement. (a handful of dogs did)

Although some people think e-collars are inhumane, i disagree. I think they are the most likely tool to be used inhumanely, but are not inhumane in themselves. But i think they can be used humanely as any other tool, like a collar on a leash, which that tool can be used inhumanely as well-just less likely. I think this trainer "gets it" and uses positive reinforcement, treats, as well as proper e-collar work (her method of training is being approved by a previous shelter worker, vegetarian and animal lover..AKA me...)

I am excited about the way this trainer talks about dogs in general, the way she sees the relationships, and the complete positive look into the progress we can make through the training.

Why did i decide to use e-collar? Because i researched it and looked into it even coming from a view of thinking it was inhumane, found it to be a tool that could benefit Zelda and I greatly. Than i found Lou Castles method, researched more from there and came to a much different conclusion than my original. It's not for everyone and not for every dog. But Zelda is a dog i see it working for. Also i love taking different things from different trainers, i do not think any trainer or method is a magic pill, and i learn some if not a lot of things from different trainers. I am hoping this tool and method is something that will really strike a chord with Miss Zelly and I.

If it means losing my money. I have no fear on walking out on a trainer if i think they are inhumane, not a good fit, or are in it just for the money.

We start early August.

I would say the most amazing approach to dog training. Would be using NO tools (that means no collars, no leash, etc.), no treats, nothing. But the very best of yourself and your dog. But who can do that right? I know i cant. Sorry Zelda. lol

Besides her behavioral and medical problems eating away at my pocketbook all is well! I mean we have gone into the Vet quite a few times. Not too long ago it was because of not eating, pure blood coming out instead of poo, and vomiting in the beginning.. Then it was the anal glands, than it was the anal glands again or so i thought but the vet said they were fine, and today.. Anal gland was full of pus. Poor baby.. But got her on meds. And I dont want to talk about the Vet bills.. Looking into other foods (AGAIN) to try with Zelda.

As for my life, I'm a dog/cat groomer apprentice and hoping to go to grooming school either this coming fall or winter. And i love grooming!
Not going to lie.. Every time a GSD comes in i go crazy bananas. But i do love most of the dogs that come in anyways. I will say the best temperament/tolerant breed in general (general statement), (just working there a few months now, so this isn't a "professional opinion" or anything..) would be golden retrievers. Gotta love goldens and their sweet sweet temperaments! <3

Rambling over! Thanks for caring guys!

Last edited by VTGirlT; 07-15-2014 at 09:07 PM.
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

With her reactivity issues, I highly suggest you get a very good trainer to help you with it.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks Jax! I been trying to find the perfect fit trainer. I agree we need help. Otherwise its pure management for us, which i would live with. But preferably more improvement the better. Hopefully this trainer is a good fit. I appreciate all of which the other trainers were able to give Zelda and me.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

She is beautiful though. I know you gave been javing challemges with her. I am crossing my fingers this tool works for you guys.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks Msmaria!
Me too! We could use a good trainer to bring more to the table for us in her behavioral problems for sure!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just bought remote e-collar, one that I can decide what type of signal to use. It has three ways, audio signal, wibrate and elrctric shock. Used to reinfornce no barking command on our puppy as nothing worked. I wanted her to stop barking on "no barking" command. SO far we have never used elecric shoct and resorted to audio. It works well as when I issue command I do buzz and she stops and listen. I can see this used to enforce other behaviours and works well on our dog.
Waldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.