Invisible Fence vs Dog Watch underground fence - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2014, 04:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Invisible Fence vs Dog Watch underground fence

Trying to decide between these 2 companies and would like to hear pros and cons of either company.

From what I understand Dog Watch requires 1 battery every 2 years at $20 and Invisible Fence is $120-160 for 2 years/per pet.

Also with Dog Watch the consumer can adjust the shock levels themselves without paying the technician to come out. Invisible Fence charges. Dog Watch has lifetime warranty and Invisible Fence doesn't from what I understand.

I'm mostly torn because I have a small-medium size yard and Invisible Fence now has 'Boundary PlusŪ Containment technology (more $$)', which allows the pet to play right up to the yards edge, without a 4-5 feet boundary like the other brands. I'm worried that the 4-5 ft boundary will allow even less play area for my 2 large dogs.

I'm scheduling a consultation for each and would appreciate opinions and advice. Thanks!
SkyBox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

We have dogwatch brand......very happy with it.....yes we do have a boundary of a few feet but our yard is big so doesn't matter for us. I have just replaced the batteries in ours after 2.5 years......$20 per battery
so pretty cheap.
We have ours attached to a 90cm existing fence as they can obviously jump that pretty easy.......they haven't jumped it once .......we live on a farm so don't have the problem of other dogs coming onto our property nor the same distractions you would get in a busy town.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used to have the invisible fence brand. Loved it.
Just know it doesnt always work for gsd's as they are stubborn and tend to just "take it"
hev1128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

So nice for people walking their dog by the house and getting accosted by an unattended dog charging to 2 feet from the sidewalk........
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've used the Invisible Fence for years!

Actually installed it in 3 different homes.

I wouldn't use any other brand.

Just my experience with (not at one time), but two schnauzers and 3 German Shepherds.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just want to warn that I see a lot of dogs in the public shelters that were picked up by Animal Control roaming, wearing e-fence collars. They seem to have a high failure rate. I've also met someone whose smart GSD learned to lie near enough the boundary to trigger a "beep" and then let the device beep and run down the battery. When the beep stopped, the dog took off through the barrier. It did this repeatedly, and the owner thought the device had a defective battery charger. Eventually, he figured out his dog had just learned to defeat the battery.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 02:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

That sounds far fetched to me.....the batteries last for AGES....... IT would take A LOT of sitting to do that....chances are it was faulty
Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We have the invisible fence brand. No weird battery issue and he doesn't terrorize neighbors walking down the street. He has no desire to leave the yard and he's not left outside alone to his vices. It works fine & you must train like anything else.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hev1128 View Post
I used to have the invisible fence brand. Loved it.
Just know it doesnt always work for gsd's as they are stubborn and tend to just "take it"
We had the Invisible Fence brand and it worked well until a stray came into our yard. We ended up with $$$ in vet bills. It happened a second time and at that point we got a real fence not to keep him in but to protect him. The worse of it was that from then on, my dog "took the hit" to get at any dog passing by.

Fortunately we have been able to work thru most of his dog aggressive issues since then but they do not forget and, as a result, he is not trustworthy around other dogs even years later.

If I only knew then what I know now......

Lynn & Traveler
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

You didn't think that a stray could just walk onto your property with no fence??
They have to be wearing a collar to receive the shock.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.