German Shepherds Forum banner

The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture. Did I buy the CENSORED version? Uh oh.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
I should be receiving the version I ordered from Amazon this week. Did I get the wrong one? Mine only cost like $75.

In the first decade of 1900, Von Stephanitz wrote a book (in German) about his loyal hard working dogs called The German Shepherd in Word and Picture, in which he documents the above heritage and pleas to the breeders not "to add more wolf blood" into his dogs as he had ALREADY found the IDEAL combination. In 1923, an American version was translated VERBATIM. Not many copies were printed and few still exist. Fang@howling.com has a pricey (about $350) original and more may be found by doing rare book searches. In 1932, an 8th Enlarged and "Revised" (read sanitized) version was financed by English speaking "interests." All references to the positive wolf heritage were removed and most GSD fanciers have been denying RECENT wolf heritage ever since.
The quoted text came from this link:

http://www.floridalupine.org/publications/PDF/Dresselhaus-article.pdf

#2 ·
Looks like you got the right one - the 1925 . The description of the book on Amazon is: This is the 1994 reprint of the second revised American Edition (1925) of Col. V. Staphanitz's classic. The censored version is the 1932 edition.

#3 ·
Looks like you got the right one - the 1925 . The description of the book on Amazon is: This is the 1994 reprint of the second revised American Edition (1925) of Col. V. Staphanitz's classic. The censored version is the 1932 edition.

Good to know. I guess I should've figured that out on my own! Ha. I could've done that leg work. Oh well. Thanks for not being lazy (like I guess I was!).

#4 ·
quote "All references to the positive wolf heritage were removed and most GSD fanciers have been denying RECENT wolf heritage ever since"

however, the canine genomic study , to everyone's surprise , considering the "history" of supposed recent wolf infusion , showed a close affiliation to the "mastiff" group and not wolf - which the border collie did reveal in the DNA grouping.
Ostrander study http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/dog%20genome.htm

wolf-dog was the parlance for dogs with erect ears , a goal of Phylax society as a uniform trait for the wolf-like appearance.

this is from an article going back to 1810 "Also gone, apparently, are the small herding spitzes, the ancestral type of the modern Pomeranian, American Eskimo, Keeshond and German Spitz. C. P. Lasteyrie of France wrote in 1810:

The dogs, used in Prussia, for driving the flocks, are of a race differing from those known in France, under the name of shepherd’s dogs. They are of a small compact form, and prick-eared, resembling our wolf-dogs [a French name for the Pomeranian]. Some of them are close-haired, others are shaggy; but all are very docile, and never wound the sheep. At the voice of the shepherd, they repair to that part of the flock, which is pointed out; and if the animals refuse to advance, the dogs push their noses against them, which is enough to make them adopt the desired direction. It is much to be wished that our shepherds would accustom their dogs never to bite the sheep. These animals, naturally timid, are quite alarmed when the dog approaches them, under our system; they press against each other, run away with terror, and are often materially injured. Their constant state of fear disturbs their repose, and makes it impossible for them to graze in tranquility, which is prejudicial to their health. Few of our flocks are seen without individuals, at one time or another, exhibiting marks, which have been caused by the tooth of the dog. "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.