Saw some Kurilian Bobtail Kittens Today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Saw some Kurilian Bobtail Kittens Today

The breeder SWORE that Kurilian cats think of themselves as more dog than cat, and absolutely get along GREAT with dogs, becoming best friends with them within days.

Hard to believe but made me tempted (if it wasn't for the cat fur that covered me from head to toe within 10 minutes of petting them on my lap).
arctic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lol. I don't know about specific breed cats.

Doesn't your GSD cover you from head to toe in in fur too?!?

I've got 6 cats. 1 of them (rescue, mutt and diabetic PITA) behaves like a dog. IME it depends on the cat...but I'm sure there are breeds more likely to behave a certain way *research?*.

As far as cats getting along with dogs, my above cat gets along with my two prey driven dogs. He simply plops over or hisses (as opposed to running which would evoke a chase). I've a feeling he was raised around dogs before he came to us. My other cats were never socialized with dogs so they run. When he plops over the dogs look at me like 'huh? what are we supposed to do with him now?'.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Lol. I don't know about specific breed cats.

Doesn't your GSD cover you from head to toe in in fur too?!?

I've got 6 cats. 1 of them (rescue, mutt and diabetic PITA) behaves like a dog. IME it depends on the cat...but I'm sure there are breeds more likely to behave a certain way *research?*.

As far as cats getting along with dogs, my above cat gets along with my two prey driven dogs. He simply plops over or hisses (as opposed to running which would evoke a chase). I've a feeling he was raised around dogs before he came to us. My other cats were never socialized with dogs so they run. When he plops over the dogs look at me like 'huh? what are we supposed to do with him now?'.
My puppy is only 4.5 months old, so I basically have not seen her shed at all. I brush her for a few minutes once every couple of days, and even then, there's very little hair falling out. I guess it's still early.

The cats on the other hand were ridiculous. I'm surprised they don't go bald with all the hair that falls off them. Just petting them caused clumps of hair to fall out, then stick to my clothes. When the breeder said sometimes they piss on the door to "mark" their territory, I knew a cat wasn't for me.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well - she must be keeping toms - ie intact breeding males....marking is not that common with healthy cats, neutered early and house kept - yes, it can happen, but the vast majority of cats do NOT mark like this...

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
well - she must be keeping toms - ie intact breeding males....marking is not that common with healthy cats, neutered early and house kept - yes, it can happen, but the vast majority of cats do NOT mark like this...

Lee
I asked this in another thread but I'm actually wondering if GSDs could "bond" strongly with a friendly kitten she grows up?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic View Post
I asked this in another thread but I'm actually wondering if GSDs could "bond" strongly with a friendly kitten she grows up?
My GSD bonded really strongly to my cat. Cat was in the household first and was 12 mos old when we adopted the GSD (adult). We kept the cat strictly separated from the dog (Eva) until Eva knew "aus" cold. Then, we allowed the cat to investigate Eva while she was crated. That went well, so we allowed the cat to come out while Eva was out of the crate and we were home and actively supervising. Eva tried to chase the cat exactly one time; we both immediately snapped "aus" sternly and she stopped dead. Never tried it again after that.

It took a while for Eva and the cat to understand each other, but they wound up playing together, sleeping together, and drinking from the same water bowl. We did always make sure the cat had plenty of high / small places to escape to and it was about 3 mos before they were ever left out together when we were not strictly supervising, and Eva was incredibly smart and very eager to please; some dogs never learn not to chase the household cat.

Anyway, careful what you wish for - our cat is still mourning Eva's death more than 3 months later! It is definitely possible for cats and dogs to bond, but you have to be very careful; all it takes is one bite...
Forever loved
lovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic View Post
When the breeder said sometimes they piss on the door to "mark" their territory, I knew a cat wasn't for me.
Cat people are just weird

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Cat people are just weird

Moving into a house that must have had a herd of 100 intact males, makes me never ever want a cat, ever. We've been at it for 6 days and I still get a whiff of it here and there.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygirl View Post
My GSD bonded really strongly to my cat. Cat was in the household first and was 12 mos old when we adopted the GSD (adult). We kept the cat strictly separated from the dog (Eva) until Eva knew "aus" cold. Then, we allowed the cat to investigate Eva while she was crated. That went well, so we allowed the cat to come out while Eva was out of the crate and we were home and actively supervising. Eva tried to chase the cat exactly one time; we both immediately snapped "aus" sternly and she stopped dead. Never tried it again after that.

It took a while for Eva and the cat to understand each other, but they wound up playing together, sleeping together, and drinking from the same water bowl. We did always make sure the cat had plenty of high / small places to escape to and it was about 3 mos before they were ever left out together when we were not strictly supervising, and Eva was incredibly smart and very eager to please; some dogs never learn not to chase the household cat.

Anyway, careful what you wish for - our cat is still mourning Eva's death more than 3 months later! It is definitely possible for cats and dogs to bond, but you have to be very careful; all it takes is one bite...
Nice tip! I never needed it myself but I can see how that would work!

Of course teaching "aus" also indicates you know what your doing!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That is a cute kitty!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.