German Shepherds Forum banner

I can't even pet my dogs without shocking them due to the dry air. Help!

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  counter 
#1 ·
What would you recommend? We moved from damp Oregon to dry, desert Idaho. It's so bad here that I can't even pet my pups without shocking them 95% of the time. It makes them jump back, and makes me jump too, cuz it sort of hurts a little. My dogs want me to love them, but how can I when I hurt them every time I go to touch them. I was thinking about adding a humidifier to their sleeping area, but that won't help when they're outside during the day, or will it? What are my options? I pet them anyway, but it's hit or miss if I'm going to shock them. I don't want them to NOT want me to pet them anymore.

#3 ·
try wiping them down with laundry sheets:) just an idea.

#5 ·
This happens outside too? If it is only going on inside, get a humidifier(it'll help you too!)

#9 ·
LOL, after years of living in Idaho I am still trying to figure out how to deal with static electricity! Someone told me to keep a no-static cling free dryer sheet handy and rub my hands with it before I touch my animals. Not sure if it works, since I never tried it.
Sheilah

#11 ·
I've read that the chemicals put in/on the dryer sheets are known to cause cancer. We don't use dryer sheets at our house. I'm looking into a humidifier. There isn't always a doorknob near me. I pet the dogs a lot during the day! Ha. But these are all good suggestions. Oh, and yes, this happens both in the house and outside. I'll keep searching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.