German Shepherds Forum banner

sad puppy?:(

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  McCoy 
#1 ·
So my dog has been acting strange for the past 2 days. He doesn't play that much and always wants to sleep. He doesn't get up when I call him anymore and he doesn't like to run for his ball.. He doesn't eat his dog food when normally he eats it all up in like minutes! Now he just walks away after smelling it. He doesn't seem himself and I'm worried. But one of my family members keep telling me maybe because of the weather? Summer started and it's been in the 90s. Could that be it? Is it the heat? I leave fresh cold water out for him too..and he didn't even poop today!!! Uggh Never thought I would say this but I miss my hyper boy!!:(

#8 ·
If, Hunter does not do back flips when you go to grab your keys, leash and his collar, he needs a doggy psychologist... Your concerns are valid in my opinion.

At one year old, he should be bouncing off the walls. It's warm in S. California. I grab the leash and it's the tail from Tasmania whooping around. I cannot even connect the leash, she is so rambunctious. :wub:

SGCSG

#14 ·
Take him to the vet. It may be more than sadness. When my senior non GSD dog was dying of cancer, he would not eat regular food, but would still be enthusiastic for meats, pizza, whatever I could get him to eat. My point is NOT that you have this serious of a problem--its probably not serious, but that even very ill dogs will be excited with human food, so just because your puppy seems great with chicken doesn't mean his disinterest in his regular food is not a sign of an illness.

#17 ·
Hunter, see if his gums are white or pink > ? White is not a good sign and pink is much better.

eyes are bright and clear
nose cold and wet
gums nice pink color
regular stools
drinking enough fresh water
does he like ice cubes
eating enough
is he lonely
does he have a canine buddy
staying away from you at night
pads on feet are good and not cracked
toe nails are not too long
do you see any signs of pink color in his urine (uti)
is he skinny or not gaining weight
shedding for summer blowout of coat
is he giving kisses on command :wub:
i could go on forever :p

SGCSG

#20 ·
Both of my dogs are doing the same thing. My GSD Tess, who use to wolf down her food both morning and evening, stopped eating her morning meals, once the weather started to get hot, she'll be 2 next month. Then my 1.5 year old Cairn Terrier followed suit and is even worse about eating, especially in the mornings.

I have to doctor up their kibble (Taste of the Wild) in order to get them to eat, the use to love it, now they just smell it and walk away. They both just lay around all day, won't go out in the yard. I have a couple of friends whose dogs have been doing the same thing. I think it's the heat and humidity.

Although, if I get Tess' leash out, she perks up somewhat and becomes excited. Tess also has allergies, which is another reason she's been aloof lately, she's miserable at times.

Please give your vet a call to be on the safe side. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.