If you lost everything, what would happen to your pets? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default If you lost everything, what would happen to your pets?

If you lost everything, what would happen to your pets?

I'm talking about unexpectedly or even gradually losing your home, your savings, your car, and anything else that sustains you.

What would you do with your pets? Shelter? Rescue? Family? Friends?

It might be east to say you'd never take them to a shelter, but realistically what would happen?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd live in my truck with them
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
If you lost everything, what would happen to your pets?

I'm talking about unexpectedly or even gradually losing your home, your savings, your car, and anything else that sustains you.

What would you do with your pets? Shelter? Rescue? Family? Friends?

It might be east to say you'd never take them to a shelter, but realistically what would happen?
Been there, done that. Dogs became homeless along with me, I worked for day money and we all made it through. I rehomed Sabs BFF as the stress was to much for her, and the folks that took her were good friends so the girls still played together.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Family would take every one of them (and me lol) and I'd do the same for any of my family if needed. I'm blessed to have great support from them and it's great to have that peace of mind as I know others don't have that. I would gladly live in a car or tent with them if it came down to it, my pets are my family and you don't abandon family.

You can always make arrangements with a rescue if you need that support that if ever needed they would at least courtesy post for you. A good rescue is much safer and better then shelters or CL and other unknowns.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Seger would go back to his breeder. The others, I don't know. The cat back to my Mom. The other 3 dogs are not really rehomable so we would have to deal somehow.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Coke and/or Nikon....pry them from my cold, dead hands (if I did die, my family would help with Coke and my friend with Nikon). Legend I could easily sell and rehome, as he is very young, healthy, friendly, and already in training for several sports. My sister has already claimed Indy. If she wouldn't take her, then she could go back to the foster person I adopted her from.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a couple friends who I know would help support me until I could get back on my feet. If I didn't have them, I do have a tent and various vital camping equipment on hand if I just lose everything and have no choice but to be legitimately homeless. Kaiju would be staying with me in both these scenarios. I am strong enough to do day labor if need be, and Kaiju has always eaten before me.

In case of extreme injury, I have one friend who would gladly care for Kaiju. In case of injury I cannot recover from (coma, vegetative state) or death, my best friend has a packet of information with Kaiju's health and behavioral history, his training history, my own little summary of his personality, likes and dislikes, as well as a list of my top five shepherd rescues for him to go to. He also has the option of keeping Kaiju, but it would be his decision if Kaiju stayed with him or went to rescue.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default If you lost everything, what would happen to your pets?

I'd be sleeping at the park with my dog

ETA and if I die before him I have someone who will take him. My family would never give him up but they're not as devoted as I am so I tried finding someone who's on the same page with me about taking care of shepherds. If that falls through then my family.

Last edited by lalachka; 07-02-2014 at 04:29 PM.
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

My cat would go to a good friend, and my dogs would be homeless with me.

If I died or had a non recoverable injury, my dogs would go to my older brother and his wife, and my cat would go to that same good friend. Only reason my cat wouldn't go to family is bc none of them know anything about cats.

In both cases, my horse would go to my trainer for her to use in her lesson program, and if that's not an option, then she'd be donated to a local therapeutic riding facility (my second choice due to the decrease in level of care my mare would be getting...).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

My mom and sister (who live together) would take her. My mom is not a dog person but Mystique absolutely adores her and my mom has fallen under her spell. My sister recently lost her 16 yo llaso apso (sp) and she loves Mystique. She'd be well taken care of.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.