Pets and kids: so much to consider - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Pets and kids: so much to consider

I've posted about this before (I think?) because it's a recurrent and pressing theme in our household. It's personal I know and I'm sorry...

My husband wants to have kids. We recently made a couple of big purchases (laminate in place of the carpet and a TRD Tacoma (Yosemite ATV time) so hopefully those will keep his mind off of it. But I'm vehemently against it. I'm terrified of a few things:

Pets:
1) the shifting dynamics in terms of the pets. How will I make time for 8 fur babies? Will I have to rehome some (which for me is out of the question). But will my priorities change so much that rehoming will become a dreadful possibility? How will the dogs react: aggression? fear? submission? negatively?

2) Splitting up; wt* does a kid go through during that part of life? And the pets?

General:
3)I had this dream a while back. That I had two kids; two boys. And in that dream I felt this compassion and love that I've never experienced before. It was so consuming that when I think about it, it makes me nauseous. Why would I want to feel like that for someone that may never make any kind of impact in this world?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Think of it this way: kids are 1000 times the work, expense, anxiety, frustration, lack of freedom, that you experience with pets. You also love them in an indescribable way that is mixed with worry.

They are humans that you bring into the world and you are completely responsible for, at least for 18 years.
I could go on and on about this, but it's really late. I will say I am glad that I waited until I was old enough and stable enough to have them. And even so, it is the hardest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 07-02-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It doesn't matter if they make an impact in this world but they will impact your world. The one thing I regret is not having more kids. I miss not having small kids around all the time My dogs and cats love having the kids around and they get excited when they are here. You can still do the stuff you do with your dogs, that can be your time away and daddy can take care of the baby Cats don't require as much time or work. I'm not married, but marriage is full of compromises and I think your husband has done his part as far as the animals go, so maybe it's something you can consider. I was a young mom(my son and I are 20 yrs apart) and I'm happy that I was a young mom. I didn't consider raising my son hard work and I did it alone. I would do if over in a heartbeat. Raising my son has been my biggest accomplishment.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 07-02-2014 at 01:29 AM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 01:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

All I can say is you cannot predict the outcome. There was recently some beautiful photos posted here of an infant baby girl placed on a female GSD that looked like it adored the baby. Other people I know say their dogs just kind of ignore the baby.

I only had two cats when my children were born, anything more than that would have been too much work, but then I had to work and help out with my husband's business from home. If you have a yard and don't have to work it may be possible.

I used to listen to the Dr. Laura radio show, and when people would call in with the question of one wanting kids and the other did not, she would recommend waiting until they both wanted children. You have a lot to consider...
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And yes, 8 pets will become the least of your priorities.
In the first year, sleep and a shower will seem like gold.

And later, of course, there is this lol:

https://my.news.yahoo.com/video/real...164106567.html
Old 07-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Since this is the shepherd board.... What makes you breedworthy? Your husband? What titles and certifications do you have? Have you both had your health checked?

Ok seriously... I really wish I had thought about it a little more before I brought kids into this world. There is hereditary stuff from both our families that I wish we hadn't passed along.

As far as pets go we had Nakita the white shepherd mix pictured in my avatar when my kids were born. She absolutely adored them and they adored her. We lucked out. This was also back in the 80's when temperament problems weren't as common as today.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Since this is the shepherd board.... What makes you breedworthy? Your husband? What titles and certifications do you have? Have you both had your health checked?
LOL!

Titles/certifications: I've a Masters and husband is a physician.

Health: Meh. Pleading the 5th on that one.

Hips: Poor/bad for me. Turns into a kick the heels off can barely walk straight type of crawl when I get too drunk.

Remember, we're backyard breeders so be GENTLE!!!

Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 02:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I never thought I wanted kids. Until about 6 months before I found out that it's never going to be an option for me. Not naturally, not through adoption, not at all. Please don't overthink this situation or spend too much time "waiting". It's natural to have fears. Why not just let nature take over? If it's meant to be, it will happen. I had a friend that wanted kids but being pregnant could possibly kill her. She stopped taking her birth control and they did not try. Now she is pregnant. Do what's right for you and your family. But don't overthink it. Because if that option is EVER taken away from you, you will deeply miss what you never had. Best of luck and love to you, I feel you will be guided to make the right decision.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 03:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
I've posted about this before (I think?) because it's a recurrent and pressing theme in our household. It's personal I know and I'm sorry...

My husband wants to have kids. We recently made a couple of big purchases (laminate in place of the carpet and a TRD Tacoma (Yosemite ATV time) so hopefully those will keep his mind off of it. But I'm vehemently against it. I'm terrified of a few things:

Pets:
1) the shifting dynamics in terms of the pets. How will I make time for 8 fur babies? Will I have to rehome some (which for me is out of the question). But will my priorities change so much that rehoming will become a dreadful possibility? How will the dogs react: aggression? fear? submission? negatively?

2) Splitting up; wt* does a kid go through during that part of life? And the pets?

General:
3)I had this dream a while back. That I had two kids; two boys. And in that dream I felt this compassion and love that I've never experienced before. It was so consuming that when I think about it, it makes me nauseous. Why would I want to feel like that for someone that may never make any kind of impact in this world?
Here's my two cents. Take it or leave it. Any amount of anxiety over this probably indicates that you are not ready.
Pets are always doable, it just depends on the pet how much work and effort is involved. I personally just sort of rolled with it. Kid and pets all survived, I did what I needed to do and never really gave it much thought.
Some kids really struggle with break ups, some don't. It depends on the child and the parents. But again if you are hesitating because of the possibility you need to examine that.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

We plan to have kids and my mentality regarding the pets is "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it." Most people I know my age having kids also have pets and everyone has/had a different experience. I won't let some "what ifs" scare me out of something as important as having a family (since that is what I want). In the past few years, the thought of having kids has informed which new pets I've taken in (or not). The past two dogs I've had, I chose dogs that erred on the side of being more open and social. The type of GSD I idealize is not necessarily the one that fits in my house or my hypothetical family. But I'm also not sitting here stressing about my older dogs and how the dynamics will change. Of course they will, but they've changed every time we've got a new dog or even a foster or board-and-train dog.

We had a couple stay with us for an extended period while they were adopting a newborn infant (also living with us) so it was a good chance to see how my dogs did around that sort of change and having a newborn in the house.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.