German Shepherds Forum banner

Raw soup bone question

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  martemchik 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
When I lived in Michigan, I bought refrigerated raw bones from our local pet store. I used to give them to my beast all the time and he loved them. When I moved to Florida, the pet stores do not carry them, but my local Publix supermarket does. They sell them in the frozen section as beef sliced marrow bones. I've been giving these frozen bones to my beast for a year and again, he loves them. My question is this, the butcher told me I should be cooking them before giving them to my boy. I heard that you should never give dogs cooked bones. He said I run the risk of giving him a bone with salmonella. Can someone please advise me? Thank you so much!

#2 ·
It is extremely unlikely that a dog will get salmonella. You shouldn't cook it. If you cook it...you'll cook out all the marrow and then what's the point of giving the bone?

The highest salmonella risk is if YOU handle the bone, and ingest the virus. Then you'll have salmonella.

#6 ·
I'm in Florida and give raw frozen marrow bones to my 7 year old GSD at least once a week.

No problems here.

FYI- My Publix only has them in the regular meat case. The store gets them in these big boxes and they make up the packages at the store level. If you are nice to the butcher, he can sort and make up special packages with bigger bones and those having a little more meat on the bones. I just found this out a couple of weeks ago. Traveler thinks the best part of the bone isn't the marrow, it's the fight to get the bits off the outside of the bone. Silly boy.

Lynn & Traveler

#10 ·
I agree this can happen so I'm not discounting it. Not to hijack the thread but I've heard this said a number of times on the board but I guess my question would be-how often does this happen? Is it all that frequent? I understand that if it happens to our dog, once is enough but is it more common than one would expect? At what point do you let a dog be a dog? What is a good substitute for leisure chewing?

I know Traveler loved to chew on rocks when he was a pup. Now that was a scary activity and I had nightmares about broken teeth until he quit doing that. Not sure he quit on his own as it may have been that by that time I had removed every rock, stone, and pebble from our yard:crazy:

I'd like to hear some feedback. Maybe our raw feeders can chime in as well.

Thanks,

Lynn & Traveler

#9 ·
Don't ever feed any cooked bones but you can take those bones and put them in a crock pot for about 1.5 days and cook them and then give dogs the broth that it makes. Add raw apple cider vinegar to help pull out the nutrients and then refrigerate overnight. Should come out like jello. Very nutritious for the dogs. Throw out the cooked bones.

#11 ·
The only time I've heard of broken teeth (on a GSD) is when they hit something really hard with their mouth. Not really from casual chewing of a bone. Sure...some dogs might be hard chewers but if you think about/watch your dog chew a bone, it's really not putting that much pressure on the teeth that it would cause a break. It's really more of a grinding of the bone.

Those teeth are much harder than you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.