German Shepherds Forum banner

Cleaning all this hair!!!

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Kaasuti 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I didn't see any other forum to post this in so hopefully I'm in the right place.

I am a clean freak, and I also own a German Shepherd, and I LOVE him! However, I know that clean and GSD don't always go together :D especially when it comes to their hair.

I find myself sweeping and mopping every other day and I still feel like there are balls of hair everywhere. Its never ending lol

I just wanted to hear from you guys to see if you have any best practices on how to effectively control the shedding and or how to keep a clean place.

THANK YOU!!

Eder

#2 · (Edited)
Microfiber cloths and a good vacuum are your best friend. Even then you will never be hair free <evil laugh> lol

wanted to add - train your dog to tolerate the vacuum. Woolf has no problem with the shop vac being run over him, but don't even think about the house vac. He gets vacuumed a couple times a week.

#4 ·
I have started attacking the problem at it's source! The dog, I've been brushing Rocky daily now as opposed to every other month!:blush:

First couple of days I was getting a medium sized dog's worth of hair off of him!! Last few days no where near as much!

Still have to vacuum every couple of days but his coat looks sooo much better! And he likes the added attention! :)

#10 ·
I switched to raw diet , and brush daily. There is still hair , but honestly it cuts it down by a good 70% .

#12 ·
Good food and proper daily grooming cut it way back.

David Winners

#13 · (Edited)
I brush my dogs often especially when they are shedding large amounts I have to do it daily even more than once a day sometimes(it can be better to brush them outside when they're shedding heavily). My boy definitely sheds more than my Lab does that's for sure! Just a lot of brushing, sweeping, mopping and vacuuming helps, and like some have already said vacuuming the dog fur off the dog can help too. You'll never be able to get every single strand of fur shed though living with dogs... that's impossible!

#15 ·
We got the dyson ball vacuum and its phenomenal (except on the shag rug, which is getting replaced).

For the hardwoods I got a Hoover Floormate. it works fine, but Ive come up with a better system. I run the vac over the hardwoods, then fill the sink with hot water and Murphys. I dunk 2 hand towels in the sink, plop them on the floor, and swish them around w/ my feet. Then use a dry towel in the same manner to dry. It sounds goofy but it works for cleaning the high traffic areas quickly.

I do this every other night.

The best advice I can give is the sooner you can forget your old cleaning routine, and adapt my system for 20 mins every other day, the better off you'll be.

......and dont get a shag rug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.