German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   What is the most POPULAR sport? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/465522-what-most-popular-sport.html)

Blitzkrieg1 06-30-2014 06:50 AM

What is the most POPULAR sport?

I have my head pretty stuck into protection sport at the moment but I realize the majority of people that compete with their dogs do so in other types of sports.

I am curious which is the most popular competitive dog sport going on right now?
Popular defined by people training for and actually competing against one another.

Competitive as in winning vs participation.

hunterisgreat 06-30-2014 08:06 AM

I'm sure agility

Andaka 06-30-2014 12:36 PM

Yeah. Agility is definitely #1.

Merciel 06-30-2014 12:37 PM

Yep. Agility, and it's not close.

Betty 06-30-2014 12:46 PM

Is Rally not gaining on agility?

Merciel 06-30-2014 12:54 PM

No. It's really not close. Rally is gaining on traditional obedience, but nothing approaches agility.

AKC agility registration numbers are literally twice the numbers of registrations or entries for obedience or Rally (the second- and third-most popular sports in AKC, since most of the others are more breed-specific and don't draw as much interest outside their breeds). In fact, it is almost exactly twice as popular as the other two sports (25K unique registered dogs were entered in at least one event in 2013, vs. 13 or 12K).

All non-AKC sports are smaller than their AKC counterparts in the U.S., so that gives you a fairly clear picture that agility is #1.

ApselBear 06-30-2014 12:57 PM

:rolleyes: Soccer is the most popular sport right now...

Betty 06-30-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merciel (Post 5711433)
No. It's really not close. Rally is gaining on traditional obedience, but nothing approaches agility.

AKC agility registration numbers are literally twice the numbers of registrations or entries for obedience or Rally (the second- and third-most popular sports in AKC, since most of the others are more breed-specific and don't draw as much interest outside their breeds). In fact, it is almost exactly twice as popular as the other two sports (25K unique registered dogs were entered in at least one event in 2013, vs. 13 or 12K).

All non-AKC sports are smaller than their AKC counterparts in the U.S., so that gives you a fairly clear picture that agility is #1.

Thanks, learn something new everyday!

Blitzkrieg1 06-30-2014 03:35 PM

Good to know, I figure I need to get into something to appeal to the masses a bit more on the side. Now to find a course or buy the equipment or buy the equipment...?

llombardo 06-30-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 (Post 5712169)
Good to know, I figure I need to get into something to appeal to the masses a bit more on the side. Now to find a course or buy the equipment or buy the equipment...?

It is not cheap to buy the equipment. I spent thousands of dollars.