Animal control took my baby. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Animal control took my baby.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

Im devastated. We brought my boy to this nice lady shop that we met 2 weeks ago and she had a kid with a golden retriever, last night. Her kid wanted to meet Bandit so we brought him there. 10 minutes into him playing with the kid, some other kids came. They were playing with the soccer ball and asked about my boy, so finally we let him off the leash so he can play with the kids. He was having a blast, kids were having fun. And after maybe 5 minutes we call him back and put him back into the car. Next thing i know 10 minutes later, the kid parents came out fussing, they were speaking spanish so we didnt understand until the lady who own the shop translated. He told us that the kid said our dog bit him and him and the parent was yelling saying he was badly injured. So they called an ambulance and what not and when emt and police came, they didnt see any punctured skin, barely a little scrap. But animal control came and picked him up saying he had to be put in 10 day quarantine. And for what? The kid had no bite mark at all on him.

Now the house feels so empty without him. I know its only 10 days, but that's 10 days too long. All because a rotten apple ruined it for everyone. I just dont know what to do. I keep wondering if theyre treating him right, are they abusing him. I stayed there for 3 hours with him until animal control even came. He was so frollicky as usual, running around, trying to catch flies. And then i had to put him in that small cramped up crate in the animal control car, and watch them drive away. He must be so confused right now..

Im sorry if this is kind of long. I need someone to talk to.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Go to animal control and see if you can quarantine him elsewhere. Is he not up to date on his vaccines?
People will probably try to sue you....if there was nothing but a scratch, how can it be proved your dog even did it?
Sorry you are dealing with this, lesson learned, never ever let your dog play with anyone you don't know and trust.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Go to animal control and see if you can quarantine him elsewhere. Is he not up to date on his vaccines?
People will probably try to sue you....if there was nothing but a scratch, how can it be proved your dog even did it?
Sorry you are dealing with this, lesson learned, never ever let your dog play with anyone you don't know and trust.
Omg. This^^
They may be looking for an easy target to sue. I am sorry, get everything in line and date n document the occurrence, noting the time relapse between taking your dog and the bite complaint.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

If he is up to date on rabies vaccination, most of the shelters here will allow quarantine at your vet, sometimes at home. If they will allow it, move fast and get your dog out of the shelter.

Out of curiosity - which shelter is he quarantined at?
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
If he is up to date on rabies vaccination, most of the shelters here will allow quarantine at your vet, sometimes at home. If they will allow it, move fast and get your dog out of the shelter.

Out of curiosity - which shelter is he quarantined at?
Clayton county animal shelter in georgia. The thing is i dont even have the recent papers for his vaccination. I recently not too long ago cancelled the optomus wellness plan at banfield because they almost killed my dog and only caref about money. So im not even sure if they have records anymore.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They have the records. Call them and find out. Get a copy of the rabies vaccination.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Go back to where he was vaccinated and ask for his records. They should still have them. Then take the records over to the shelter and check on your dog and ask if you can quarantine him at home.
Ares
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

You need to get those records ASAP! Call Banfield and try to get a copy and, if not, call animal control and ask how to get them. ALWAYS keep those records. I have a photocopy in my truck at all times in addition to a scanned copy on my computer and the original at home. You are lucky you got a 10 day quarantine; that is the duration for IMMUNIZED dogs. Non immunized can be 6 months or immediate euthanasia.

They may or may not let you shelter your dog at home. They probably would at your vet. The "bite dogs" often get bad treatment at animal shelters.

I would also ask for a copy of any bite reports for my files for future reference. Patient privacy may overrule but you should have some right of access to the records with personal information redacted. Did they file an insurance claim against you?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dog will nip when she's in drive and you are playing. She's not biting and does not break the skin, she's just leaking drive. (This was more when she was a puppy. Someone at her daycare, a new girl, said my dog bit one of the girls there, but the girl said 'oh no! I was throwing leaves at her and she was trying to grab them and I got in the way, I'm totally fine!'. You can imagine the heart attack I was having in the meantime)

Never leave your dog to play with other people's kids.

10 days quarantine is normal even for a vaccinated dog, but if your dog is unvaccinated they will need to observe him most likely. Just happened to my co-worker, except his little dog bit his grandkid in the face when she tried to hug him and the dog meant business.

Sorry about the ordeal, hopefully you'll get your dog back in 10 days without further incident.

Last edited by blackshep; 06-25-2014 at 10:29 AM.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Clayton county animal shelter in georgia. The thing is i dont even have the recent papers for his vaccination. I recently not too long ago cancelled the optomus wellness plan at banfield because they almost killed my dog and only caref about money. So im not even sure if they have records anymore.
OK, Clayton County is NOT one of the better shelters. Do you have a new vet yet or still using Banfield? Does Banfield even do boarding?

Banfield is open now, get a copy of his records and then get to the shelter.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.