Animal control took my baby. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
What does them not speaking the language have to do with it?

Anyway, yeah, people are always looking out to sue. I hope this ends well. Were yu there during the play? Or you left them?

Also, i'd never let my dog play with kids. Just too much risk. They get worked up and can hurt kids by accident. Too late for all this but for the future.

I hope you can get your dog out ASAP
I was there the whole time watching him play with the kids. I didnt see anything at all. He had his rabies vaccination july of last year, for a one year shot. I recently switched him to a different vet more clos to home, and theyre actually better. Im going to bandield and hopefully they still have his shots record.

I called the animal control shelter and they said he's doing fine and if anything i can pick him up on july 2nd. The only problem is, i hope they dont try to do something stupid and end up with some nonsense and put my boy down. Im just super worried.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I was there the whole time watching him play with the kids. I didnt see anything at all. He had his rabies vaccination july of last year, for a one year shot. I recently switched him to a different vet more clos to home, and theyre actually better. Im going to bandield and hopefully they still have his shots record.

I called the animal control shelter and they said he's doing fine and if anything i can pick him up on july 2nd. The only problem is, i hope they dont try to do something stupid and end up with some nonsense and put my boy down. Im just super worried.
So where is the proof that he bit someone? Even so, you should ask if you can quarantine him at home.
Ares
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asja View Post
So where is the proof that he bit someone? Even so, you should ask if you can quarantine him at home.
Theres no type of proof at all. I even talked to the officer called. He said he didnt see any puncture, barely a scrape, maybe nothing at all. The whole tome even though the kid was "really injured" he was running around still playing with the soccer ball while i had to deal with the police. The kid is 13 years old now. I dont think age matters, but i would understand more if he was like 8 years old.

I even looked at the kid leg myself. It looked bruised like something hit him but i saw no bite marks.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wow, is all I can say. You don't even know if the scratch came from your dog, could have just happened in all the play - either by himself or another child.

You really need to get the vaccination records so someone does not start vaccination the child - those shots are very expensive.

We've never let our dogs play with children and don't even let children pet them because people in this country are so litigious now.

We had a feral kitten we took to the vet for vaccinations. All over the crate we put warning - Feral Cat. The vet tech tried to handle the kitten without protection, got bit and we were required to quarantine the kitten in our home. We had a police officer check on us twice during that time. The weird thing was the kitten had been vaccinated for rabies a week earlier.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

If police were there and saw nothing, I don't understand why Animal Control took your dog?
Ares
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm going to be blunt here.

Your dog is at risk and is in extreme danger if you do not provide proof of rabies vac.

The vet who gave it will have records, get it, provide it, and then see about the 10 day hold at your home or the vets.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty View Post
I'm going to be blunt here.

Your dog is at risk and is in extreme danger if you do not provide proof of rabies vac.
I'm going to be even more blunt so that you get off the Internet, take off work if need be, and get this paperwork from your vet over to animal control TODAY:

In many parts of the country (including much of the Deep South), without proof of rabies vax, AC will euthanize the dog, cut off its head, and send the severed head to the state university's vet school to dissect to look for evidence of rabies in the brain tissue. A 10-day hold on an unvaccinated dog is very generous -- here, that's what the vaccinated dogs get.

Take that paperwork in person to animal control. Talk to the shelter director while you are there to guarantee no euthanasia and request approval to transfer to your new vet for the remaining observation period, at your expense.

Be prepared for the possibility of a proceeding where AC seeks an order designating your pet a "dangerous dog" requiring it to be muzzled whenever it leaves the confines of your home--for life. This is a big, serious thing: your homeowners insurance company will likely not insure your dog once it has a "dangerous dog" label (and may not if there's a bite history anyway). It depends on your community as to whether this will happen, and whether animal control routinely does that -- try your best to make nice with the shelter director and AC officer as best you can so that they understand your version of the facts and aren't inclined to pursue this. You may need to hire a lawyer, if they do.

Last edited by Magwart; 06-25-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

if you get your dog home
Never leave your dog to play with other people's kids.
ever
because of these type things here
whether or not the dog used his mouth you cannot even say at this point

get the rabies vaccine record and go get your dog before he is put to sleep!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I know folks are giving your dire warnings but (1) depending on the law, many states do euthanize or hold for 6 months, if there are no innoculation records and (2) this may be the first strike on your dog being labeled as dangerous, the 2nd strike=death.
I would sure make sure this does not go in your dog's "permanent record", and it could also impact your insurability etc. It is very important to clear it all up now.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

One of my own dogs bit me on the hand while I was breaking up a spat between two dogs. I needed to have x-rays, stitches, and antibiotics and because it was a bite, the hospital reported it to the county. Animal Control came to my house, but since my dogs had current rabies certificates and current county dog licenses, I was asked to keep my dog at home for 10 days. They checked back after 10 days to make sure me and the dog were not dead of rabies and that was that. If I hadn't had the rabies certificate, I think they would have taken my dog away and either quarantined him at the shelter (probably in this case, since he bit me his owner during a dog fight, he didn't bite a kid or attack anyone), or put the dog down (likely if he had bit a stranger). You MUST be able to show the dog is up to date on the rabies vaccination, and if he is not, consider it a lesson learned for the future. That is the one thing you can't mess around with because they will seize and possibly euthanize the dog.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.