Right time to get a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Right time to get a GSD

Hi all,

I've been researching about the breed for some time now and I've loved every encounter I've had with this breed and now I'm looking to get one of my own. I'm 25 and looking to move out within the next 6 months and I'll be living alone so I'd love to have a companion with me.

I've grown up with a border collie, who was an incredible animal and probably the brightest I've ever met. Unfortunately he passed a few years back and I've been holding off my urge to get a dog of my own for about a year now but I'm unsure if this is the right time? The dog will get exercise as I plan on going running with him and having him accompany me when I go hiking and etc. My only issue is how much will it affect him/her growing up in an apartment? I've read mixed reviews but ultimately I believe it comes down to the owner and how much attention, training, and love the dog receives. I believe I can handle the dog and all its responsibilities as keeping a border collie entertained and learning how to train him was good training for me.

Please give me all your thoughts.
Chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Find a place to live FIRST and then start looking for a dog. It can be very, very difficult to find a rental (especially an apartment) that will accept a German Shepherd. Secure housing that will accept the dog and then find the dog.

Shoot, it can be difficult to find home owner's insurance that will cover a German Shepherd.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dont make the same mistake i did. Check for dog breed and weight restriction !!!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have State Farm and they are ok with my a GSD. It also helps a lot if you get your GSD obedience trained and get a CGC and TT title for him or her.

You have to think liability these days as dog bites to humans and to other dogs is common. If your GSD bites a big mouth Chihuahua or a child you will get sued. Your dog barks at night because you are out with your friends, your neighbors will complain to you, management, police and to animal control.

You will need to talk to dog trainers in your area, dog clubs, and so on to workout your GSD. A GSD is a good sized dog and working line is high energy dog that might not do well in a small apartment.

My boy is Troy vom Stabil Fels
brio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you want it bad enough you can make it work. I did it for nearly 4 years with a 60lb pit mix. It is very inconvenient, with potty times and noise complaints. And you have to remember every time you move you have to find a place that accepts "dangerous" dog breeds...

I'm in the process of closing on a townhouse..so my new puppy will have the luxury of a backyard.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Would you consider a rescue?

My concern is that when you get a puppy you really wont know what you have in terms of the dogs energy level and exercise needs. You cant order a puppy fit for an apt. However, you can find a still-somewhat-young rescue that will fit your living arrangement/lifestyle.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.