German Shepherds Forum banner

Behavior Change after neutering

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Shade 
#1 ·
I'm considering having my 4yrs old GSD neutered. I've been reading several pros and cons concerning the removal.
Please share your dog's behavior change after the surgery. I love the drive my dog currently have and some reports say they lose the drive.
He's an inside dog and never goes out unsupervised.

Thanks for your insight

#2 ·
ours never lost drive
as old as yours is now the behaviors are set
he will not become a couch potato after the surgery :)

some people and some studies say they gain weight and i believe it does change their metabolism but the way to address that is keep him active and also adjust his food if necessary

i think pet overfeeding is a real thing in america anyway because the amt of dog food listed on the bag is way more than anything but a husky that runs all day and night might need!

#3 ·
Mine was neutered at 3 years old - we are coming up on a year post neuter. I was also worried like you. In my experience the only thing that changed was he marked less in our yard. His behavior was still the same - which for me was a relief because I did not want a change. He's also a little less of a A hole if another dog is walking down the street - not sure if that's my training or the surgery.

Now, he is not a Sch dog - so I cannot comment on drives. If he were - I would be more worried about drives and neutering.

Because he was older it took him longer to heal. I would say day 3 post surgery was the most challenging and uncomfortable for him. But he healed nicely.

#4 ·
Delgado has never lost drive, with age he's learned to cap it so it may seem that he's lower drive but he'll prove you wrong in a heartbeat if you show him a ball, food, or tell him it's time to work ;) He still has boundless energy when it comes to doing things he loves

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.