Neutering and males getting along - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Neutering and males getting along

Hi all,

Due to terrible circumstances I am adding another dog to our pack. My father passed away recently and my mom is going through a very tough time. She loves Dagon very much but due to difficult circumstanes and until she is a bit more stabilized, my hubby and I will take Dagon the GSD to our place. Our family decided it will be the best choice right now. I have 2 dogs currently, a westie and a shihpoo. The westie is a bit dog aggressive with certain new dogs, so we started introducing them slowly. Both the westie and the GSD are males and both are dominant. We got them to a point where they could be in the same area in the yard or house and they do not try to fight, but I do not feel comfortable leaving them unattended, since they will show signs of dominance towards eachother and I am terrified of either one getting hurt. They just don't seem to relax around eachother at all. The GSD is NOT neutered and I have a surgery scheduled in a couple of weeks. I have heard from several people that having an unaltered male dog with an altered dog will cause more unnecessary tension. Does anyone know how true this is? I wonder how much of a difference it will make in helping them get along once Dagon is neutered?
Also, I didnt mention the shihpoo. She is a sweet. happy go lucky little submissive female that just gets along with everyone and there hasnt been a problem with her at all..
Basically after all this babble, I was just curious if it makes a difference if a male dog is neutered or not when it comes to other males?
Thank you in advance
endlessaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

. I have heard from several people that having an unaltered male dog with an altered dog will cause more unnecessary tension. Does anyone know how true this is? I wonder how much of a difference it will make in helping them get along once Dagon is neutered?
yes that is quite true
i do not know and cannot say how dagon will be after the neuter but i can tell you it could take up to 3 mos to see a big difference

on a different note i am so sorry to hear of the loss of your father
prayers for you and your family during this difficult time
Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Blanket statements are not typically true in the dog world. You have to understand temperaments to determine if dogs will get along. Surgery/neutering do not guarantee that 2 dogs will get along.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the replies. With my mom's permission, we are definitely getting him neutered, since we have no plans to breed. Even with no guarantee in them getting along, i will do anything if it means helping them live together peacefully. I do understand temperament plays a role though. I am still hopeful the neutering will make a difference and am curious to hear some experiences.
endlessaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

keeping them separated while you are away is very wise and either way i would strongly encourage you to keep that up for a good long while
Old 06-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Packen is correct. I have 3 intact male gsd's and have zero aggression issues. It's about the dogs, not being intact or not. Do keep them separated. My condolences on your father's passing.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom View Post
Packen is correct. I have 3 intact male gsd's and have zero aggression issues. It's about the dogs, not being intact or not. Do keep them separated. My condolences on your father's passing.
Same with my experience--I have had intact males who got along perfectly, also 1 intact, 1 neutered, and 2 neutered. Actually, I have had more issues with females--they want to rule the roost, lol!

Susan
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

i think it depends on the individual dogs as well as the circumstances
i have read on this very forum instances when someone took an intact male to the park only to have the neutered males attack it so yes indeed there can be a great deal of friction
i have witnessed personally conflict between intact males especially when there is a female around
Old 06-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have 3 intact males and 3 females. Zero issues.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I also had more issues with my females then males.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.