Picking dogs based on looks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Picking dogs based on looks

It's looked down upon to do that. I understand the reasons behind it, health and temperament should come first. You can have a beautiful dog that bites or is crippled and his looks don't mean much at that point.

But I don't think we can deny that people are visual creatures. Looks matter in our world, people can talk about 'inside beauty' all they want but I think I read about studies that prove that pretty people have things a little easier.

Back to dogs, the reason most people are attached to a certain breed to begin with is largely because of looks. Yes, there are breed traits and breed reputation (some people want a 'tough dog') but i'd say looks do play a huge part in the picking process.

So if you agree with that then what's wrong with taking it a step further and picking the color and look?

It's much easier to bond with an animal if you like their look IMO. Or maybe, I like my dog's look because I bonded with him?
That's an interesting one)))))

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't think there is anything wrong with liking and preferring a certain look.

I think it becomes an issue when it's all you care about.

ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with liking and preferring a certain look.

I think it becomes an issue when it's all you care about.

Lol that thread in mind? Yeah, that's why I posted. But I always thought about this

Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think you should pick a dog based on looks alone. But there are so many good breeders out there that it's not hard to find one breeding for EVERYTHING on your list. It's just can't be the only thing on your list.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I don't think you should pick a dog based on looks alone. But there are so many good breeders out there that it's not hard to find one breeding for EVERYTHING on your list. It's just can't be the only thing on your list.

I agree.

What if there wasn't such a selection? What if you found a dog that's perfect in every way but looks wise is not your type.

I'm not sure what i'd do. Hopefully take him anyway))))))

Now I'm wondering, do I like my dog's looks because he's mine or he just happened to look the way I like? He's not the traditional looking gsd (or mix) so I think it's the first.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just over a year ago I was getting a black/red from a reputable breeder , until I walked into the shelter and walked past Midnites cage. I did not like his looks , they did not appeal to me even a little bit. He looked at me with such longing in his eyes and it hit me hard. If course I had them bring him out and his temperament was absolutely wonderful. Needless to say I spent the next couple days thinking about him and made the decision to get him and give up the puppy I was going to get. It took me a long time to even like his looks, we bonded way before I realized he was good looking. In my case looks had nothing to with why I chose him or making it easier to bond.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...1&d=1403055047
Attached Thumbnails
Picking dogs based on looks-image.jpg  
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had my heart set on a sable when I got Delta. She was from a litter that produced almost all sables... But she was the only female. She's a black and tan. She may not be what I thought I wanted in terms of looks but she's utterly perfect in every other way and exactly what I wanted for temperament (and she's a very pretty girl, if I do say). I'm glad I didn't hold out and wait for a sable. I think it's fine to have something in mind in terms of looks, but it's a problem when you forego everything else to get a look you want.

LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Llombardo, I read your thread last years when you posted it. That's him in the picture? I thought it was the one without the mask

Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
I had my heart set on a sable when I got Delta. She was from a litter that produced almost all sables... But she was the only female. She's a black and tan. She may not be what I thought I wanted in terms of looks but she's utterly perfect in every other way and exactly what I wanted for temperament (and she's a very pretty girl, if I do say). I'm glad I didn't hold out and wait for a sable. I think it's fine to have something in mind in terms of looks, but it's a problem when you forego everything else to get a look you want.

I saw your post in the other thread. That's why I posted. You replying to that post.

I think this is the right way to go about it, just not sure how easy it is to do for everyone.

I wonder if looks have something to do with dogs being dumped in shelters. Or it's always temperament?

Like did anyone dump their dogs because they don't like their looks? No one would probably admit to it because they'd be afraid to look shallow but I wonder if it happens often?

If it does then maybe picking based on looks is not such a bad idea for some? Then again, if someone is keeping their dog only because they like his look then maybe that's not the best place for them.

Lol, excuse me, I am having fun. I like thinking about stuff like this.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
Llombardo, I read your thread last years when you posted it. That's him in the picture? I thought it was the one without the mask

Yes that is him. He has matured and filled out I call him my 99 dollar special because I got him on sale at the shelter, completely crazy that he sat for a few months.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...1&d=1403055461
Attached Thumbnails
Picking dogs based on looks-image.jpg  
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.