Picking dogs based on looks - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Yes that is him. He has matured and filled out

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...1&d=1403055461

I like him)))) I like thin dogs personally but his face (lol) is my taste

I thought I remembered you saying something about lack of mask and I assumed it was the lighter dog that was in your avatar before

Whatever though, that's commendable. I always admired people that just love dogs, looks and breeds aside. I'm much more shallow than that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
I like him)))) I like thin dogs personally but his face (lol) is my taste

I thought I remembered you saying something about lack of mask and I assumed it was the lighter dog that was in your avatar before

Whatever though, that's commendable. I always admired people that just love dogs, looks and breeds aside. I'm much more shallow than that.

We kinda like him too He is a huge part of the family and I couldn't be happier with him. He looks bigger then he is . He got up to 100 pounds and I put him on a diet. 80-85 is the goal and we are almost there. My female is considered slim and slender by the vet.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is nothing wrong with wanting a certain color or pattern. A dog is a 12-14 year investment so why not get what you want if you are willing to wait for it?

However, along with color all the other things need to be considered. Temp., Health, energy level you want. It can't just be all about color.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
I saw your post in the other thread. That's why I posted. You replying to that post.

I think this is the right way to go about it, just not sure how easy it is to do for everyone.

I wonder if looks have something to do with dogs being dumped in shelters. Or it's always temperament?

Like did anyone dump their dogs because they don't like their looks? No one would probably admit to it because they'd be afraid to look shallow but I wonder if it happens often?

If it does then maybe picking based on looks is not such a bad idea for some? Then again, if someone is keeping their dog only because they like his look then maybe that's not the best place for them.

Lol, excuse me, I am having fun. I like thinking about stuff like this.

Dogs absolutely get dumped because of looks. It happens far more often than I care to think about.

I had people in the last store that literally walked in, saw a dog they liked better in looks, got the new dog and then a week later the old one was "mysteriously" gone. I don't think people like this should have animals at all. They can't take care of them and they don't see them as living things. And if the new dog does anything wrong? Then I hear "well, it was pretty, but it was crazy/mean/cold/misbehaved/didn't want to play fetch" (seriously) and then it goes right back in the system.
Pax8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Otto was my first puppy after years of having rescues. Both his parents were rich bicolors who looked like Luther which was what first caught my eye on this match up. I met the dam, what a charm and the sire, drive out the waz. At 5 weeks old, I did a PAT on the whole litter. 2 of them were black, I kinda always wanted a black but Otto was the puppy I wanted. At 5 weeks, he looked like Luther.

Turned out I wanted a puppy with Luther's temperment and that's what I got. Other than bone structure, Otto looks nothing like Luther now that he's grown. Acts just like him though and I love that.

With Viv, I still had black dog on the brain. Karen breeds for blacks with health tests and solid temperments (everyone remembers Blackjack and Sally - Viv's sire's parents, One of the black girls from the dynmaic Thing 1 and Thing 2 duo, one of them is V's mother)

Venus was shipped to me at 8 weeks old after Karen took great care to listen to Otto's quirks and what I wanted in a puppy. I got exactly what I wanted. And she's black.

Readers digest version of that: trust your breeder

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

I had my heart set on a bicolor female. Only one female in the litter and she's liver...when it came down to it color didn't matter I just wanted a dog.
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had my heart set on one particular female because she was pretty and she liked ball... One year later I'm taking her to a barn to learn to bite appropriately, I'm into an extremely time consuming dog sport, and I have gotten her a brother and bought a house so she can have a yard...Now I have an intelligent and gorgeous creature that I must learn to control for her own safety . Such is the life of a GSD owner who is responsible for her decision to love a dog completely no matter what she needs. The rewards, however, are endless with German Shepherds.

Last edited by glowingtoadfly; 06-17-2014 at 10:35 PM.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I fell in love with a petfinder photo of a local stray. I wanted to foster the dog and did so. I wish I could have been a foster failure with him, he was such a great dog, but he was reactive/aggressive to my husband and son...so not a good fit for my family.
We bonded quickly, even though I knew he'd only be temporarily living with me. Once he earned my trust, his loyalty was so amazing. I still miss him.
I would always choose a breeder that has what I'm looking for visually as the lines are part of the structure and color that goes right along with the rest of the dog. Nothing wrong with it, IMO.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Picking dogs based on looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
There is nothing wrong with wanting a certain color or pattern. A dog is a 12-14 year investment so why not get what you want if you are willing to wait for it?

However, along with color all the other things need to be considered. Temp., Health, energy level you want. It can't just be all about color.

That's what I thought)))) I picked my dog based on looks only (puppy looks, not sure how reliable that is)))) but I didn't know any better. Now I do and if I get another one then I will try picking the one with the right temperament and hopefully no health issues. Since I'm still largely clueless, I'm not sure how I will judge temperament. hopefully by then I either learn or someone will help))))

And looks)))))

Old 06-17-2014, 11:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax8 View Post
Dogs absolutely get dumped because of looks. It happens far more often than I care to think about.

I had people in the last store that literally walked in, saw a dog they liked better in looks, got the new dog and then a week later the old one was "mysteriously" gone. I don't think people like this should have animals at all. They can't take care of them and they don't see them as living things. And if the new dog does anything wrong? Then I hear "well, it was pretty, but it was crazy/mean/cold/misbehaved/didn't want to play fetch" (seriously) and then it goes right back in the system.

What do you mean 'In your store'. Pet store or a shelter?

Didn't want to play fetch? Lol

If dogs can choose their owners most of us would be In for a wake up call. I often wonder if my dog would've chosen me if he had the choice. Like, maybe he'd want to go to a sport home or a working home. Or maybe just a different owner.

Also, if dogs could talk I wonder whether we'd still love them as much as we do. Since they can't talk it's easy to imagine and attribute many thoughts and qualities to them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.