people with pools - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default people with pools

does your gsd jump in your in ground pool when you aren't outside?
I've been trying to avoid a house with a pool but we are house hunting and found a very nice house, the only problem? This is the backyard:

There's a park down the street and a pretty nice front yard I can play with her in, but for trips to potty I want to be able to open the door and just let her out (going to teach her to potty in those plants lol). All the concrete isn't ideal but I guess I'm just wondering if your gsd goes in your pool all the time. I will put up a fence if necessary and I'm okay if she swims while I'm out there, but I figure a lot of dogs will probably just leave it alone after awhile. I'll need to supervise for a long time until I trust her - she's a great swimmer though so I'm not worried about her drowning (though that could certainly happen) it's more about unwanted wet dog 24-7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Nope. Neither of mine are interested in the pool. Have never ever swam before. And we recently installed a fence around it to keep the nieces and nephews out when they visit.

But Zeeva has fallen in a couple of times at night while chasing Smokey or having a fit of the zoomies. She is so strong she simply pulled herself straight out without using the steps.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Really depends on the dog. Baron (you will meet on hikes) gets in their pool all the time. He is a coatie and his owner was just telling me the other day he was beginning to smell from being wet all the time.

What area is the house in? Feel free to pm that if you prefer.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I want that house and pool....

My parents had a lab who LOVED swimming but they didn't have too much trouble keeping her out of their pool. She could easily be let out to potty and play without hopping in. They'd make a big to do about removing her collar and putting it on the patio table so she could "swim" and she understood that was the only time she was allowed in.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, I can not keep mine out of the pool. He loves to swim. We tried putting barricades up, but he just pushes them out of the way or knocks them in the pool. He is a water dog!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Does the pool have built in steps? If so teach your dog right away how to get out.

If not, I would fence it. I have seen dogs that can't get out and drown.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

We have literally just returned from the vet from Samson (6 months and crazy!) fell into the edge of the pool and injured his leg. This is the second time he has fallen in from the edge and now has a soft tissue injury. :-( Unlike the pool though that you are looking at, ours is very curvy around the whole thing so I think he has just misjudged those curves a couple of times while running around the pool while we were in it.

Because we live in a very hot climate, we WANT him to want to get in the pool to cool down and we want him to want to swim for exercise when the asphalt is too hot in the summer to walk on. So far, we have trained him on a leash to only go in the pool on command. Treat it like a doorwary. Take him to the edge of the pool, WAIT, OK and then he can go. While we are in the pool, we can say "on the step" and he is allowed to go on the step. He caught on really quickly. I don't want him jumping on the step everytime he goes out for a potty break because I don't want a wet dog all of the time! LOL

It can work as long as you set up the boundaries for the dog. A couple of times Samson has headed to the pool without the command and with a simple "Ah ah" and he will turn around.

Also, when teaching to swim in the pool, always make him enter and exit at the same place so that he learns the proper exit and knows where the step is if he ever does fall in. We LOVE have a house with a pool. Our neighbor's lab has even came over for an afternoon swim! It is endless entertainment for the kids (our whole family really), bbq's, parties and you don't have to pack up a pool bag and leave the house.
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Haven't brought my GSD home yet but we have a pool and my plan is to just stay outside with her and train her when she can and cannot get in. I'm hoping my plan works but I love having a pool and I hope she enjoys it. With my little Yorkies we would put them in the deep end and call them to the steps and make them get out they did not like it at all but we want them to be able to save themselves if they fall in, dogs are natural swimmers so as long as they're shown where the exit is they should be fine. I can't tell from the picture if there is grass anywhere in the backyard. We have a decent amount of grass so my plan is to train her to go to the same spot ;-)

Alena Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have an automatic pool cover because I don't want dogs or children to be in the pool without supervision.

For the record, I don't leave my dogs out when I'm not home.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

forget the dog..you might find ME in that pool! In seriousness though...I am pretty sure my Roxy would be in there all the time...she LOVES the water
lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.