Looking for a High Quality Dog Crate/Cage - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a High Quality Dog Crate/Cage

Hello everyone! Our family is going to be picking up our first German Shepherd next week. I'm looking for a high quality crate/cage for him. It will have to be large because his mother is around 75 lbs and his father 110. My parents have a cage that has lasted about 2 decades with zero rust and looks the same as the day they bought it. That was from Central Metal Products LLC but it appears that they've gone out of business...phone and emails no longer work for them and their Facebook page has other customers wanting their products with no response.

I would like a similar cage if possible and would like to keep the price below $500. I'm looking for a quality product that is built to last decades without rusting, preferable the rest of my life, I'm 24. I appreciate all suggestions.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Personally, unless your dog is destructive and has issues with a crate, I don't see a reason to spend a lot of money on one of those aluminum boxes. I don't see why any regular crate wouldn't work. If you go to eBay you can see a variety of sizes and they are all much cheaper than in stores.

I've bought 4 different crates off of eBay, a 48" one that is only at home has no rust on it (not sure why rust would be a worry inside). The others are constantly used in vehicles and my dogs have gotten into them muddy/wet and still no rust on those either. At the end of the day, I'd rather spend $35-$45 on a crate, and then just get a new one if that one breaks (not sure why it would though) in a decade.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

I use Vari Kennel. The 2 - I purchased are x-large. Nothing lasts 10 years. Your dog could destroy it with his/her teeth while you have dinner the first night you get it home. (not as a pup) What state are you in ? The second crate is so large I can't move around it in the motor home wit the slide out closed and I am considering downsizing to the next smallest, for the RV. If you are looking for all metal, you might check Costco, fold up, I don't know the quality.

SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have the extra ginormous size crate made by midwest. I got it from wayfair for $165.
It hasnt been tested under intense "trying to escape" circumstances. I established it as a place for peaceful relaxation from day 1.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Amazon.com : Midwest 1542 iCrate Single-Door Pet Crate 42-By-28-By-30-Inch : Pet Kennels : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Midwest 1542 iCrate Single-Door Pet Crate 42-By-28-By-30-Inch : Pet Kennels : Pet Supplies

I bought that for our pup. He is almost 55lbs right now and this thing is like a suite for him..
Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use the Midwest Life Stages crate for my girl.

I got two at $50 each on Amazon, and shipping was free with Prime.
WateryTart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.