German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Looking for a High Quality Dog Crate/Cage (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/461274-looking-high-quality-dog-crate-cage.html)

BigT 06-17-2014 11:01 AM

Looking for a High Quality Dog Crate/Cage

Hello everyone! Our family is going to be picking up our first German Shepherd next week. I'm looking for a high quality crate/cage for him. It will have to be large because his mother is around 75 lbs and his father 110. My parents have a cage that has lasted about 2 decades with zero rust and looks the same as the day they bought it. That was from Central Metal Products LLC but it appears that they've gone out of business...phone and emails no longer work for them and their Facebook page has other customers wanting their products with no response.

I would like a similar cage if possible and would like to keep the price below $500. I'm looking for a quality product that is built to last decades without rusting, preferable the rest of my life, I'm 24. I appreciate all suggestions.

martemchik 06-17-2014 11:07 AM

Personally, unless your dog is destructive and has issues with a crate, I don't see a reason to spend a lot of money on one of those aluminum boxes. I don't see why any regular crate wouldn't work. If you go to eBay you can see a variety of sizes and they are all much cheaper than in stores.

I've bought 4 different crates off of eBay, a 48" one that is only at home has no rust on it (not sure why rust would be a worry inside). The others are constantly used in vehicles and my dogs have gotten into them muddy/wet and still no rust on those either. At the end of the day, I'd rather spend $35-$45 on a crate, and then just get a new one if that one breaks (not sure why it would though) in a decade.

sehrgutcsg 06-17-2014 11:08 AM

I use Vari Kennel. The 2 - I purchased are x-large. Nothing lasts 10 years. Your dog could destroy it with his/her teeth while you have dinner the first night you get it home. (not as a pup) What state are you in ? The second crate is so large I can't move around it in the motor home wit the slide out closed and I am considering downsizing to the next smallest, for the RV. If you are looking for all metal, you might check Costco, fold up, I don't know the quality.

SGCSG

McCoy 06-17-2014 03:14 PM

I have the extra ginormous size crate made by midwest. I got it from wayfair for $165.
It hasnt been tested under intense "trying to escape" circumstances. I established it as a place for peaceful relaxation from day 1.

daonlyillwiz 06-17-2014 04:04 PM

I bought that for our pup. He is almost 55lbs right now and this thing is like a suite for him..

WateryTart 06-20-2014 07:38 PM

I use the Midwest Life Stages crate for my girl.

I got two at $50 each on Amazon, and shipping was free with Prime.