has anyone been told.. +rant - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default has anyone been told.. +rant

Has anyone been told they shouldn't bring their dog to the dog park? It pissed me off so bad. Some guy just told me I shouldn't bring my dog to the dog park because "he's going to kill a small dog" pissed me off so bad because my dog has never hurt a dog. Yes maybe he plays too rough but he never bit a dog? I know you guys are going to probably agree that I shouldn't go to the dog park either. But it really just made me upset for some reason. That's the first complaint I ever had from the park. He shouldn't have even brought his dog to the dog park if his other dog doesn't like playing with other dogs and around people (he told me not to come near his dog he doesn't like being around people) ughhh I'm just so annoyed with this guy.
Hunter4628 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

The reason many of the Forum members urge one not to bring their dog to public dog parks, is because some people don't have control of their dogs, and are not responsible enough to do anything about their dogs misbehaving. It's a place where anything unexpected could happen.
But in your case, yes, I would be angry too! You're dog has as much right to be there as any other. Now, if they saw your dog act aggressively towards other dogs, I would understand. But, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have met some really lovely people at dog parks and some of the most rude nastiest people I have ever encountered. There are people all over the world that seem to dislike GSDs so much and get off on making the owner feel inadequate and like a leper. Don't let his nasty attitude get to you, in my experience the most nastiest rude people are the ones that have no control over their dog so will lash out at easy targets like GSD owners.

The thing with GSDs is that they are rough noisy players and if some people are not used to their style of play, they often think they are being aggressive. I have always had 2 GSDs so am experienced with how rough and noisy they are. The other thing to consider is that most GSDs do fine in dog park situations up to about the 1yo mark, some a little before, and at this age they develop definite likes and dislikes and their tolerance becomes shorter and more defined, their confidence has increased and you will find they will have no problem telling an 'in your face' Lab to go away!

I have used dog parks as a form of social exercise when they were all young pups (depending on the dogs already there) and at about 8 to 12mo I don't take them in as they don't need social exercise, but do need physical exercise so do other things with them such as ball play in a training pen, walking, hiking, swimming etc.

Do yourself a favour and ditch the dog park, find other more exciting and fulfilling things to do together - your bond together will only grow and don't worry about this ejit, some people get off on upsetting others.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
I have met some really lovely people at dog parks and some of the most rude nastiest people I have ever encountered. There are people all over the world that seem to dislike GSDs so much and get off on making the owner feel inadequate and like a leper. Don't let his nasty attitude get to you, in my experience the most nastiest rude people are the ones that have no control over their dog so will lash out at easy targets like GSD owners.

The thing with GSDs is that they are rough noisy players and if some people are not used to their style of play, they often think they are being aggressive. I have always had 2 GSDs so am experienced with how rough and noisy they are. The other thing to consider is that most GSDs do fine in dog park situations up to about the 1yo mark, some a little before, and at this age they develop definite likes and dislikes and their tolerance becomes shorter and more defined, their confidence has increased and you will find they will have no problem telling an 'in your face' Lab to go away!

I have used dog parks as a form of social exercise when they were all young pups (depending on the dogs already there) and at about 8 to 12mo I don't take them in as they don't need social exercise, but do need physical exercise so do other things with them such as ball play in a training pen, walking, hiking, swimming etc.

Do yourself a favour and ditch the dog park, find other more exciting and fulfilling things to do together - your bond together will only grow and don't worry about this ejit, some people get off on upsetting others.
Thank you!! I really need to find other dogs that play we'll with mine.. This guy really made me feel uncomfortable going to the dog park now. Never once had anyone complained about my dog but I feel like he may spread the word that "my dog is going to kill a small dog"!! but yes I do agree the way he plays may seem agressive but I know when it's time out.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I feel your pain,I have left the dog park crying before. Now we just don't go, both me and my dog are happier!
Germanshepherdlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlove View Post
I feel your pain,I have left the dog park crying before. Now we just don't go, both me and my dog are happier!
May I ask what happened? Maybe the dog park isn't such a good place for us. although I've met some amazing dogs and nice people, he just kind of ruined it!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4628 View Post
May I ask what happened? Maybe the dog park isn't such a good place for us. although I've met some amazing dogs and nice people, he just kind of ruined it!
I got screamed at for bringing an aggressive dog to the park when him and the other dog were happily playing. The next person we came across kicked my dog when he was just standing there. We had lots of friends there who we don't see anymore.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlove View Post
I got screamed at for bringing an aggressive dog to the park when him and the other dog were happily playing. The next person we came across kicked my dog when he was just standing there. We had lots of friends there who we don't see anymore.
omg.. Kicked your dog?!!!! That's horrible!! I would have cried so much..seriously who does that!!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Are these dog parks an over seas thing cuz I've never heard of them in the uk, I take my pup to a regular park with swings and kids and ducks ( he likes the ducks lol) and just over fields by me.

I've had a lot of people avoid us when we are walking and I feel bad for him cuz he does love a play, some people are angels even when he's rele boisterous and bowls other dogs over and others just shout at me for not controlling him even tho I shout him and he comes straight back and waits for a biscuit.

He's currently pulling a lot so we have him on a halite and even that's causing problems cuz now people think he's a vicious dog and if they see me take the halite off him over the field they go insane at me.... I ignore them cuz I know he wouldn't hurt a fly, i mean for Christ sake the big fool ran away for a chihuahua the other day when he could have just eaten it in one bite lol
Lucy&Jax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4628 View Post
omg.. Kicked your dog?!!!! That's horrible!! I would have cried so much..seriously who does that!!
Yeah and I don't cry easy....

We have had so much fun hiking together lately though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.