has anyone been told.. +rant - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy&Jax View Post
Are these dog parks an over seas thing cuz I've never heard of them in the uk, I take my pup to a regular park with swings and kids and ducks ( he likes the ducks lol) and just over fields by me.

I've had a lot of people avoid us when we are walking and I feel bad for him cuz he does love a play, some people are angels even when he's rele boisterous and bowls other dogs over and others just shout at me for not controlling him even tho I shout him and he comes straight back and waits for a biscuit.

He's currently pulling a lot so we have him on a halite and even that's causing problems cuz now people think he's a vicious dog and if they see me take the halite off him over the field they go insane at me.... I ignore them cuz I know he wouldn't hurt a fly, i mean for Christ sake the big fool ran away for a chihuahua the other day when he could have just eaten it in one bite lol
Yes, in the US. At least in the state I live in, most towns are very anti dog. You could not have your dog off leash at any public park around here. Dog parks are fenced in areas for off lead dogs.
Germanshepherdlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 01:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlove View Post
Yes, in the US. At least in the state I live in, most towns are very anti dog. You could not have your dog off leash at any public park around here. Dog parks are fenced in areas for off lead dogs.
That's because most American's have humanized their dogs to the point of ludacrisy, have rose colored glasses on when it comes to their dog's behaviors, or plain-straight-up have no idea how to control their dog. Rules are in place because of stupid owners, not because the big bad local govt's are against pets. Dog parks are just a way for pet owners to have "legal" off leash time and still have absolutely no accountability for their dog's behaviors. *Most dog parks have next to zero rules, zero enforcement of any rules that may be there, and any joe-shmoe can bring fear-aggressive-fluffy in for "socializing." Every excuse in the book can be heard at these parks, "he just plays rough...she's shy...she doesn't like unneutered-brown-spotted-male-dogs....." I love sitting outside dog parks, it fascinating to watch the dogs interact, and the obliviousness of the owners.

Rant over. lol

Last edited by DaniFani; 06-17-2014 at 02:02 AM.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 02:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

I don't do dog parks. Many people have preconceived notions about GSDs. I have heard people tell their kids not to go near my dog because he might bite! A woman screamed bloody murder because my dog playfully galloped toward her wildly barking little dog. I don't like people making false assumptions about my dog, so to spare myself the frustration, I just don't go. Plus it frustrates me to see people not controlling their dogs... especially leash reactive dogs lunging, crying and barking at us.
Sunshine-Belgian Malinois 2/2003-3/2014
Charles-GSD mix 1988-2002
Charliehound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 04:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dog parks were invented by people who are clueless about dogs.

GSDs are scary and intimidating to most people.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4628 View Post
Yes maybe he plays too rough but he never bit a dog?
A large dog doesn't have to bite a smaller dog (or a bigger dog) to hurt the dog. If your dog is playing rough then people are going to say something. If a dog bigger than your dog by 50-60 pounds was being too rough with him, how would you feel?

Go to obedience classes, meet some owners over time (not immediately) that have dogs with a play style similar to your own and who are under control when playing.

Dogs in play shouldn't be a free for all, which is kind of the opposite of what a lot of people do. When my dogs play, I am out there like a FIFA ref, giving them a lot of feedback on their play, shaping it into play that is appropriate for my group. I can't do that in a group with other peoples' dogs. So I don't set my dogs/me up to fail or be uncomfortable. http://info.drsophiayin.com/dog-park-etiquette-poster
Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In bold - LOL I do that sometimes too! Stay outside of the fenced area and do a little proofing under distraction. Side benefit watching the chaos, arguing (usually between the humans not the dogs lol).

The latest was a lady with a pittie that was dragging her around as she walked to the fenced area on leash. She tried to get him to stop, he wouldn't stop pulling. So she straddled him, reached around under his chest and lifted his front paws off the ground and walked errrr waddled with him between her legs to the gate.

I know I'm not an expert trainer by any means but seeing things like that, well I'm not doing that bad... Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
That's because most American's have humanized their dogs to the point of ludacrisy, have rose colored glasses on when it comes to their dog's behaviors, or plain-straight-up have no idea how to control their dog. Rules are in place because of stupid owners, not because the big bad local govt's are against pets. Dog parks are just a way for pet owners to have "legal" off leash time and still have absolutely no accountability for their dog's behaviors. *Most dog parks have next to zero rules, zero enforcement of any rules that may be there, and any joe-shmoe can bring fear-aggressive-fluffy in for "socializing." Every excuse in the book can be heard at these parks, "he just plays rough...she's shy...she doesn't like unneutered-brown-spotted-male-dogs....." I love sitting outside dog parks, it fascinating to watch the dogs interact, and the obliviousness of the owners.

Rant over. lol
Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
A large dog doesn't have to bite a smaller dog (or a bigger dog) to hurt the dog. If your dog is playing rough then people are going to say something. If a dog bigger than your dog by 50-60 pounds was being too rough with him, how would you feel?

Go to obedience classes, meet some owners over time (not immediately) that have dogs with a play style similar to your own and who are under control when playing.

Dogs in play shouldn't be a free for all, which is kind of the opposite of what a lot of people do. When my dogs play, I am out there like a FIFA ref, giving them a lot of feedback on their play, shaping it into play that is appropriate for my group. I can't do that in a group with other peoples' dogs. So I don't set my dogs/me up to fail or be uncomfortable. http://info.drsophiayin.com/dog-park-etiquette-poster

This. This is so, so important. My male is a rough player (very vocal, too), so I am extremely choosy about who I let him play with- not because I don't want to catch flack from other owners, but because I genuinely do worry about the other dog. It so easily spins into bullying, whatever, if the other dog is overwhelmed... even if they're the same size.

He has lab friend who he can tackle, roll around with, bark at.... and who gives it right back to him. She's probably the one of the only dogs I'm comfortable with letting him play with for extended periods of time. My dog has good recall and good manners, but I just don't want to risk it in such an uncontrolled environment.

At dog parks, most owners don't know anything about rough play- many people think it's aggression, and conversely many people don't understand that their dog's rough play, even if friendly, can be really overwhelming to other dogs.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I’m not against dog parks, and I’d never tell someone to leave a dog park (if they were bothering me while I was at one), but sometimes as GSD owners we aren’t as vigilant as we need to be. Even though our dogs are playing normally, some people might not be comfortable with it, and unfortunately it really does only take a split second for a GSD to hurt a small dog. With a larger dog…there might be a puncture and an injury that hopefully can be fixed up by a vet, but with a small dog, one bite could mean death.

I’m not saying this to OP, but people need to realize that dogs mature and can very quickly go from friendly to angry. I saw this happen with my dog when he was right around a year old, and too often on this website I see people who are oblivious to the fact that their young dog will change at some point. Luckily, I saw signs of the change and stopped going to the dog park because it stopped being fun for me. Others though, don’t stop until it’s too late and then wonder why people are prejudiced against GSDs.

When I went to the dog park, I was very aware of the preconceived ideas about my dog due to his breed and would watch him like a hawk. I’d watch the owners of the other dogs he’d play with to make sure they were comfortable with the play, and you’d be surprised how many times I made my boy stop playing with a dog and had the owner tell me “it was fine” when it really wasn’t. Their dog was clearly uncomfortable with the situation and not enjoying themselves. Even though all our parks have small dog areas, people would bring their small dogs into the large dog area (it was way bigger) and I made sure my dog never played with too small of a dog. Basically anything smaller than 30lbs was off-limits.

I don’t think you did anything wrong OP, but just be mindful of the fact that your dog has a much shorter leash than other breeds of dogs. In this situation, you ran into someone that over reacted to the situation, but unfortunately there are a lot of those people out there. And if you ever read posts that come from people whose dogs were overwhelmed in that type of situation, the advice will usually be to “protect your dog at all costs.” Which is what that guy did. Is it a bit too far, especially in a public park? Sure…but that’s what happens when you’re at a public park.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4628 View Post
Has anyone been told they shouldn't bring their dog to the dog park? It pissed me off so bad. Some guy just told me I shouldn't bring my dog to the dog park because "he's going to kill a small dog" pissed me off so bad because my dog has never hurt a dog. Yes maybe he plays too rough but he never bit a dog? I know you guys are going to probably agree that I shouldn't go to the dog park either. But it really just made me upset for some reason. That's the first complaint I ever had from the park. He shouldn't have even brought his dog to the dog park if his other dog doesn't like playing with other dogs and around people (he told me not to come near his dog he doesn't like being around people) ughhh I'm just so annoyed with this guy.
I take it that this dog park is not split? One side for small dogs one side for big dogs? Ours is split. Not that it means anything because people still bring their little nippers in the big dog area anyways, then look at you like your an idiot for bringing such a large dog to the dog park as their little dog gets chased and pummeled by half the dogs there. Yep, life at a dog park. Just gotta take it for what it's worth.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Hunter, the guy was rude, he don't own the park nor pay more taxes for it then you. But the park has many issues besides dog to dog - human to human reactions / problems. A sick dog can leave something that makes your dog sick, the park is littered with poop. If you want your dog to interact with other dogs, join a class, a club or have the dog meet and greet dogs while on a walk. They don't need to run together in tandem at a park out of your immediate control, bad thing's happen fast resulting in much more heartache, then some *** with a small dog.
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.