German Shepherds Forum banner

Legally what do I need to do ?(Non GSD)

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
Back in March after a mutual friend passed away I took in two cats on a temporary basis for a girl. She had nowhere to being them and I knew I could help for a couple months. My sister and I made it clear it could only be until mid-June. My son went to Europe to study abroad and the cats were to be gone by the time he came home. Well they are still here:( In May I asked her if she found alternative living situation for them and she decided to play the I didn't know it was only until June. I'm thinking okay three months is temporary ,what does she consider temporary? Then I thought ok maybe I'm crazy and didn't mention the June thing, but I went back to messages and it was mentioned, I also am positive it was talked about at the pick up. Regardless of that I did give her warning in the beginning of May. After the first two weeks she hasn't even asked about them nor has she made an attempt to visit them. She did say in May that she would just have to take them to the shelter and I got very angry. I have made every effort to keep them safe. The first night one of them pooped on a chair downstairs and that couldn't keep happening so I started sleeping on the couch with the dogs to protect my furniture, I have not slept in my bed in months. I bought an extra large litter box for the one cat because he is so huge he didn't fit in the regular ones, I did put him on a diet and he has lost weight. I'm paying for everything. This girl is now pregnant and shows no signs of getting a place that will take the cats. I texted her again today, so far nothing. Can I legally place these cats? I would never bring them to a shelter, I even have someone that might bd interested in them. Any input in the legality of it all is welcome:)

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to check your state laws on legality. Just call a local shelter and talk to the manager. They should be able to tell you local laws.

I'm curious...instead of sleeping on the couch, why didn't you just get a cheap, large, crate from craigslist and put the cats in there at night so they couldn't poop on your furniture?

#3 ·
I'm curious...instead of sleeping on the couch, why didn't you just get a cheap, large, crate from craigslist and put the cats in there at night so they couldn't poop on your furniture?
^^^ Yep. When we move and have an overnight motel stay we crate the cats in a large wire dog crate with a litter box and water bowl. The cats may feel safer there with dogs in the house.

You could also keep the cats. :)

#4 ·
I hope I am wrong....but the girl is taking advantage of your care and concern for animals....I always like to describe the blatantly obvious.

If it were me, I would simply tell this individual that crunch time has arrived and if she is not capable of taking the cats that you can no longer keep them and have found a suitable home for them. I suppose the downside of this is she might either take them and try and find another individual to do what you have generously already done or subject the cats to an unfitting life. Since she has already played upon your sense of fairness and concern for living animals by stating she would just have to take them to a shelter...it doesn't sound like she gives a **** in the first place UNLESS it's completely convenient for her. So, force her hand again and hopefully she will say the same thing regarding the shelter and then you can simply tell her you have found a wonderful "shelter" already for them and proceed to place them with the potentially interested party.

SuperG

#5 ·
I would keep copies of all communication, send her a certified letter saying if she doesn't come get them or make other arrangements by X-date, you will place them or bring them to the shelter. When it comes to animals, possession is 9/10ths in most places anyway. She's basically abandoned them, and since you are providing shelter and feeding them, the law would probably hold *you* accountable for them.

#7 ·
Yeah.. I had a friend who asked me to keep his car temporarily only to keep putting off the return of said pet. In his defense he did provide cat litter and food. But after two months I told him that he needed to come get the cat. After 2 weeks of no answer I told him I would have to take the cat to the shelter if I didn't hear anything back from him, and then did so. The cat....a big, lazy, overstuffed chair of a cat...got adopted immediately.

Jelpy

#8 ·
I never thought about a crate, but I don't think that would work. The litter box is huge and so is the one cat. There would be no room in there for both cats, litter box, food and water.

#9 ·
Both these cats started out in a shelter and shelters here are way overloaded with cats:(

#13 ·
Honestly, I would tell her ONCE, and state that this is ONCE,,she picks them up by xxx date or you will be placing them...If your worried she's going to dump them, I'd start looking for a no kill kitty shelter or place them yourself..Check with your vet(s) and see if they could help placing them..

So many unwanted cats:((( I hate seeing them in shelters but if they are no kill, then I know atleast they are safe

#14 ·
Take it to "The Peoples Court"........she'll sort it for you..... ;)

But seriously ......surely it can be sorted without the need for legalities. I'm with Lies, write her a formal letter.....if she doesn't come for her cats.....rehome them.....done......then if she takes you to "The people's Court".....you have evidence......

#15 · (Edited)
You have to take an honest look at the situation. You cannot rescue every animal. If you continue letting people take advantage of you, you'll be on Animal Planet soon.
I got worried when you said that you slept on the couch because of the cats. How about putting them in a bathroom or closet with a litter box.
Remember that nobody can take advantage of you without your permission. If you write her a letter, you can mention court.

#16 ·
You have to take an honest look at the situation. You cannot rescue every animal. If you continue letting people take advantage of you, you'll be on Animal Planet soon.
I got worried when you said that you slept on the couch because of the cats. How about putting them in a bathroom or closet with a litter box.
Remember that nobody can take advantage of you without your permission. If you write her a letter, you can mention court.

good post :)
i would never board someones animals without a note from them saying if they are not gone by such and such date they will be rehomed

#18 ·
Well the person that was interested fell through. I'm looking at the large kitty crates with three levels. The owner did respond and she is feeling miserable. If she is willing to buy the crate I'm willing to keep on helping, but those are my terms. I am taking the gate down and hoping for the best. It will only be down when I'm home so I can supervise but it's a start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.