Maybe just one of those days? Personal Rant, looking for advice from my forum family - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Unhappy Maybe just one of those days? Personal Rant, looking for advice from my forum family

I'm going to lay all out on the table here..

I feel really trapped in life, in that.. The ideal setting for Zelda and I would be in an isolated area right outside of a town to walk in and so that if she barks with me gone, no one can hear her. But outside of it so that i can have her off leash and not worry about strangers so much, no cats (No neighbor cats laying on our yard not knowing my dog has full intentions of the prey game..), fenced in yard.. This ideal world, is not even near my future. I would give it maybe 20 years before i probably could afford a down payment for the cheapest real estate out there..

I also feel trapped in that i cant go out at night with friends because she will bark and i feel bad leaving her since she hates it so much still, i cant bring her with me to friends because she will attempt to eat her cats and i cant go to friends with her or they cant come here easily because of her FA and how it would take hours before i could properly introduce to a level where i feel comfortable putting my guard down a bit to enjoy myself. My social life is really not there.. Which also means missing out on events, taking extra shifts at work, vacations with family, enjoying the company of cats and my dog at the same time.

And i need to move on from here. But heres the thing.. I was going to get an apartment, but the daugher of the owners of it came back to the state and she is in it now. Its the only apartment that would in all honesty work for Zelda and I.. And well i been looking for an apartment i can afford, thats near my workplace (since the weekend i have 1 hour shifts several times a day, and it wouldn't make sense to drive 1 hour away to do a 1 hour shift..), can have a GSD/dog, and can have a dog barking in day or at night.. There is little to no appartments meeting that criteria.

I have a job (that i hope to make a career) that pays $10/hour plus half tips. So basically all the money i make a month would be going to rent with the prices around here for rent. I might be able to get an apartment or something with my sister, but it would be hard being that her dog would kill me everytime she bites Zelda because someone forgot they left a ball or stick on the ground (resource guarding),etc. And it would still have to fit my criteria, and her criteria..
So with all money im making at work and if i had an apartment that cost more than my budgeted rent money, there is no saving, no gas money, where would be the Zelda money for food, class, supplements, vet, how about the car fixing money, debt money, food, etc. College drop out, because i couldn't afford it!

I just feel like im holding her back in all her potential and she is holding me back in ways. Not that i resent her or am wanting to remove her from my life. You would have to pry her form my cold dead fingers. But, i do wish things were different circumstances/easier.. Or at the very least ideal circumstances were closer to reach..

I was hoping to hear some advice knowing my personal problems (apologize) on what they would do in my situation.

Thanks guys..
Is it bad or is it just in my head.. I'm not sure anymore!.. lol

(most recent pictures of Zelda in the summer)

Last edited by VTGirlT; 06-10-2014 at 08:59 PM.
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wouldn't it be great if we could make everything perfect for our dogs...
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't want to be a bummer, but I'm in my 50's, I still don't have a yard for Molly and I have crappy immediate neighbors. I struggled in evening classes and went back to school to get re-traiined, only to find I'd have to move a great distance after I graduated to find the training and type of job I wanted, which I cannot do.

You really need to change your perspective. For me - no yard = exploring the area around me where I can walk Molly either on or off leash. She doesn't care that she is on leash, this is actually my problem. Over the years we've found so many beautiful places within 10 miles of my home! You can't go out at night? Good, you stay home and save money on bar tabs, stay away from DUI drivers and guys that might not respect you.

You should do some serious research on where good paying jobs are, ask yourself if you can re-locate, and in the mean time, take some college classes, you might find something that will lead to better paying job or just a fun hobby. I went to school for nursing, but to me my most valuable and enjoyable class was modern art history. Only you are holding you back. Think out of the box.

Even with my dog, I've learned to change my perspective and look for the positive. When my dog was potty training, instead of looking at "accidents" as extra work and a mess, I saw this as an opportunity to keep my floors clean several times a week. As crazy as our start was with Molly, with patience and love she's grown into a great dog and a fun model for my daughter to practice her watercolor painting, and she's hoping one day to make a book out of Molly's life.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Great post Gretchen...
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
I don't want to be a bummer, but I'm in my 50's, I still don't have a yard for Molly and I have crappy immediate neighbors. I struggled in evening classes and went back to school to get re-traiined, only to find I'd have to move a great distance after I graduated to find the training and type of job I wanted, which I cannot do.

You really need to change your perspective. For me - no yard = exploring the area around me where I can walk Molly either on or off leash. She doesn't care that she is on leash, this is actually my problem. Over the years we've found so many beautiful places within 10 miles of my home! You can't go out at night? Good, you stay home and save money on bar tabs, stay away from DUI drivers and guys that might not respect you.

You should do some serious research on where good paying jobs are, ask yourself if you can re-locate, and in the mean time, take some college classes, you might find something that will lead to better paying job or just a fun hobby. I went to school for nursing, but to me my most valuable and enjoyable class was modern art history. Only you are holding you back. Think out of the box.

Even with my dog, I've learned to change my perspective and look for the positive. When my dog was potty training, instead of looking at "accidents" as extra work and a mess, I saw this as an opportunity to keep my floors clean several times a week. As crazy as our start was with Molly, with patience and love she's grown into a great dog and a fun model for my daughter to practice her watercolor painting, and she's hoping one day to make a book out of Molly's life.
Perspective does make a big difference! Good points.. Glad i posted in the end, I wasnt sure if i was going to regret posting.. But your post was worth it Gretchen. I do have a lot at the end of the day. It is fun to go on dirt roads, farm roads, back woods with Zelda.
I am currently training to be a groomer, i am hoping i can go far with it, i do enjoy it. I basically am an apprentice with a guy who owns his own grooming, boarding and daycare. (i have only been there about 3-4 months) And maybe i should go to a 3 month long grooming school to get certified, i am hoping that would help me go farther and maybe up my pay at some point! But i should do research on grooming jobs in the states, where they are most needed, average salary, etc. i am quite willing to relocate if i know i have a place with Zelda and a solid job.

Molly is sure lucky to have a mom with such a positive spin on even her accidents in the house Its very true though..

Thanks for posting Gretchen!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly View Post
Wouldn't it be great if we could make everything perfect for our dogs...
It would be a nice thing..
Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I get stuck in that cycle, too. But, remember, as a kid, when you had to finish all the food because there were kids starving in China, or wherever? Now, I think: I'm thankful I've never had to see my kid ( or dog) starve. That gives me some perspective. I also wish I had 10 acres and the stupid neighbors with their stupid little dog were nowhere close....but, on the other hand, I'm glad I can afford kibble and Rudy doesn't have to eat that little dog for dinner...so I don't have to interact with them again. Sometimes we get stuck, then a couple of months or years later you think: oh, so that's why that happened that way!
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It really does have to do with perspective; if all I focus on is the negative in my life of course I'm going to feel sad and angry. I have to remind myself that I can choose to feel bad or focus on feeling thankful and happy. When I realize I'm starting to go down the bad road I stop and think of something that makes me happy, whether it be a funny joke or something someone did and I'll find myself smiling or laughing even just a little and I can feel my mood become brighter. Baby steps

Focus on the things you CAN improve - so if you choose to go back to school or possibly buy a house then save every penny you can and put it in a savings account. Even if it's just $20 a month watching that money grow gives you something to look forward to. Why not make an appointment with a financial advisor and speak to them? The appointment was free and wow was it worth the time to sit down and find out my options.

I have a yard, it's small and yes I wish it was a heck of a lot bigger but even when I take him to my parents and let him roam on their acreage unless he's chasing a toy he's always within ten feet of me so does he really need that extra space to be happy? Nope Find some nice hiking areas and enjoy all that space without paying a penny or worrying about upkeep like cutting the grass or maintaining the trails Feel lonely? There are lots of people that have mutual interests out there you can connect with, you might be surprised at how not alone you are when you step outside of your bubble No one is perfect, it's our imperfections that make life interesting and our trials that make us strong

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If it's any comfort, I'm a pretty successful entrepreneur (I'm apparently a 1%'er though it sure doesn't feel like it!), have three dogs, will have more, and am struggling to find the property I can afford that works for me. Everything is very expensive around here. In my experience "mo money, mo problems". And I grew up poor as dirt so I have been on both sides of the spectrum.

Once you're comfortable grooming, start your own grooming business. If you have a hand for business you'll make many times the money you could make working for someone else. Money is actually quite easy to make I've found. It's only the first few dollars that are so hard won
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ah, looking back, the poor houses I've lived in, the hard times I've had finding rentals with dogs, the times I've moved "for dogs"... It CAN be downright discouraging and expensive. Sometimes the light at the end of that tunnel is very very faint...
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.