do you know more about your dog than other people even a trainer? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default do you know more about your dog than other people even a trainer?

Some people seem to think other people and trainers know more about their dogs. Seems odd because you live with your dog you learn from each other. Not like the trainer is physic and knows everything even trainers can be wrong. They may know more what works best but not know as much as the owner. I know that my dog is a fanatic at swimming can go for hours. At times loves to bark when it is a fun happy time. Don't let him bark when frustrated anxious scared or nervous. He has his own indivdual that a stranger doesn't know about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you're knowledgable about dogs and able to look objectively then of course you'll know more
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

I think it depends. I can tell you my dogs personalities and quirks inside and out. As far as why my dogs do certain things or act a certain way I can most of the time but a trainer can tell me how to fix it and more in depth why they do or act a certain way.
However, some people think their dogs do things and they have no clue on dog behavior and have it all wrong.
Ex: fido barks at everyone and raises hackles. Owner things dog is just being protective. Trainer and others with dog knowledge know fido is fearful.
Not everyone is keen on dog behavior.
I have learned a ton, but I'm no expert.
Just because you live with a dog doesn't mean you automatically understand dog behaviors. You have to study and learn what the behavior is and why the dog thinks the way it does to commit that behavior.
Some people who have dog knowledge can tell a dogs behavior or why they act a certain way and have never met the dog previously.
It's all about the right kind of knowledge
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

You'd be surprised at how many people think they know their dog and think they know how to read doggy body language but do not. They mistake submission for dominance, calming signals for a challenge, fear aggression for protectiveness.

You'd be surprised at how many people have inadvertently trained their dogs for certain behaviours, and then blame the dog for being 'bad', when it was their own actions that caused the behaviour. It often takes an outside person looking in, like a trainer, to be able to see the dynamics between owner and dog and be able to shed light into the situation.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Of course, I know more about my dogs than a trainer does. But that doesn't mean a trainer might not know better why a problem exists and how to best manage the problem.

A good trainer can look objectively on how you handle your dog. They can see body language that the dog is reacting to that we may not be aware of ourselves. And they are caught up in loving the dog, so they aren't trying to see everything in a light that makes ourselves or our dog look better.

A good trainer has to diagnose the problem between dog and handler and then they have to lay out a course of action that will address the problem that will work for both parties.

In a group class of people teaching a variety of commands, the trainer has to demonstrate how to get the dog to do each command, and watch the handlers fumble through it. Then they have to adjust the techniques to fit the handlers, and help the handlers get it right. The focus is on the handler, for the handler trains the dog, the handler lives with the dog, the handler knows the dog. And much of the time, any problems reside with the handler moreso than the dog.

Someone on their 1st pup might be wise to accept the trainer knows more than they do, and if they trust the trainer, to do what the trainer says within reason. Someone on their 4th dog might have a better knowledge base, and may realize that an approach that most dogs will respond favorably to, may be over-kill for their dog, and may even make things more difficult. Experience with a variety of dogs, or sufficient history with the dog in question is the only way to get there.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think in many situations the rose coloured glasses come out to play for most owners, having an outsider's POV who is trained and spent years studying is never a bad thing to have. I'd be foolish to completely throw it all away thinking I knew better, use what works and ignore what doesn't. Constructive criticism can be a great tool

Good trainers have multiple tools in their belts and will work with you to achieve the goals you have

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I had to think about this and I finally have the most truthful answer I can give. As a responsible pet owner I freely admit that I don't really know Gunther at all. I know his behavior. I know he hides from the garbage truck, or anything he perceives as the garbage truck. I know he eats a lot of things that are very bad for him, even while still suffering from the very thing making him sick. I know he likes to jump up for hugs, will groan if we hug him (but almost like we expect it from him so he does it to humor us). I know that when my husband comes home up until I leave for work he's his preferred human. But as much as I know about what Gunther does, I have no idea why. We always tend to say "Because he's Gunther".

Raising a GSD dog is new to both of us. I do look to others for their input but I always take everything with a grain of salt too. Some of the criticism I ignore, some I respond to. But no matter what my attitude seems like I am always gathering information from others on here and in my social life and learning.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.

Last edited by Ellimaybel; 06-10-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
You'd be surprised at how many people think they know their dog and think they know how to read doggy body language but do not. They mistake submission for dominance, calming signals for a challenge, fear aggression for protectiveness.

You'd be surprised at how many people have inadvertently trained their dogs for certain behaviours, and then blame the dog for being 'bad', when it was their own actions that caused the behaviour. It often takes an outside person looking in, like a trainer, to be able to see the dynamics between owner and dog and be able to shed light into the situation.
This.

I see it in classes all the time.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
I think it depends. I can tell you my dogs personalities and quirks inside and out. As far as why my dogs do certain things or act a certain way I can most of the time but a trainer can tell me how to fix it and more in depth why they do or act a certain way.
However, some people think their dogs do things and they have no clue on dog behavior and have it all wrong.
Ex: fido barks at everyone and raises hackles. Owner things dog is just being protective. Trainer and others with dog knowledge know fido is fearful.
Not everyone is keen on dog behavior.
I have learned a ton, but I'm no expert.
Just because you live with a dog doesn't mean you automatically understand dog behaviors. You have to study and learn what the behavior is and why the dog thinks the way it does to commit that behavior.
Some people who have dog knowledge can tell a dogs behavior or why they act a certain way and have never met the dog previously.
It's all about the right kind of knowledge
I do get offended when people or trainer and they are strangers. thinking they know more about my dog or dog friends more than me.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

Just because they are strangers doesn't mean they don't know dog behavior. Everyone at one point in time is a stranger to you. Just because they don't know your dog, doesn't mean they can't wait the dog interact and understand if they have the right knowledge about dog behavior.
Yes, some people act like they know everything and don't. But that doesn't apply to everyone.
As I mentioned earlier: it's all about the right kind of knowledge.
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.