Should I Take my Dog to a Public Event? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I Take my Dog to a Public Event?

TL,DR: My dog has no manners around strange dogs. Seems to be worse with large dogs. I'm not sure if should take him to a public dog walking event tomorrow.

There is a 2.5k and 5k dog wolfing event tomorrow in a nearby town. They're raising money for a dog park that is being constructed. I'm apprehensive about bringing my dog along.

He's improved a lot when it comes to him whining in the car. He really only starts whining when the car stops moving. He is also really excitable and that causes him to make a scene. He'll start whining and being disruptive.

When I take him on his daily walk, we pass by people all the time. He's learned to ignore them. When we pass by dogs, he'll pull in their directing, but I'll give him a correcting through his prong. We'll pass the dog and he'll turn around. He's very persistent. At this point, I make him sit and wait for his attention to be back on me before we continue the walk. This can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. But this apply's to small dogs only. I'd don't come across large dogs in my area very often. We've only seen 4 since winter ended. This is what happened in each of those cases:

1. Walking past a grocery store. There was what seemed to be an older pit bull tied up outside. My dog say him and barked. The pit bull didn't react at all. I gave my dog a correcting and we continued (I didn't want to keep him near the other dog). He looked back maybe once or twice.

2. Approx. 70lbs mixed breed. I was walking behind a school and a man walked around the corner with his dog. Mine jump in their directing and barked a whole lot. I pulled him really hard (Before I bought a prong) and made him sit. He watched them until they were out of sight.

3. After walking about 7 kilometres I was filling up one of those collapsable water bowls with water. I see this woman with her golden retriever coming down the sidewalk. I'm thinking "Hopefully he'll be too busy drinking his water and won't react to the dog." Not quite. He lunged for the dog and it started it. The startled golden retriever nearly knocked the woman over. She continued on and didn't say anything surprisingly. I felt terrible about that. I'm surprised he reacted that way after walking for so long (About 85 minutes.)

4. I was approaching a part on the sidewalk that turns 90 degrees to the right. There is a house on this corner. As I was approaching it, another dog and their owner come around. They stopped as they were waiting for the light to change so they could cross the street. I just cut the corner to avoid them. I'm not even sure if my dog noticed theirs.

As a puppy and even to this day, he's really in your face about everything. I've never been worried about him showing aggression towards any dogs. He lives with my toy poodle and he's never injured her. He does constantly bug her though. I'm more worried about the reaction he might illicit in other dogs who aren't as playful as he is. Should I take him and find out or should I just avoid it at this point in time? He is a 3 year old fixed male.
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-

Last edited by CharlieB.Barkin; 06-07-2014 at 04:05 PM.
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are a few people who have second story balconies and often times the owners of the homes are sitting up their with their small dogs. These dogs will bark at us because they hear my dog's tags jingling around. He may sometimes look at them. If he does I give him a correction. He's gotten much better at ignoring these dogs.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Seriously is this a serious question? IF you are very good at dog training and have some mad nutty reason for doing so now and you were sure that over-stimulation won't hurt your dog...then go ahead!

As long as you can guarantee that this won't be you and your dog:

German shepherd attacks, kills teacup poodle during Topeka parade | CJOnline.com

If going to a Pet Parade is a goal. Then work towards it with a safe dog stable dog! Start here, I found it works for dogs and people, move on and ignore:

Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

Worked fine for me, when I was done I found I had no dog aggression issues!

But if additional work is needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXeSvoeorEI

So can you yes, should you? With the list of problems you gave I would say right now, would not be a good time? What's the rush??
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Please do not put your dog at risk. It is not worth it.
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know for a fact that it's not aggression based, but it's still very much a problem behaviour. I've been to training classes and he plays fine with other dogs. I've taken him to city markets that are just packed with people and some of them bring their dogs. Sometimes to dogs greet, and all is fine, but it's just how he tries to force himself towards them and he gets all excited. So I guess the term for it would be "reactive"?

I used to volunteer at a shelter before I moved and I would walk most of their dogs. I'm no expert by any means, but I've walked aggressive dogs before and mine is nothing like them. It's just his excitability being a problem and potentially him getting himself into a situation (or at least trying to), where he can get himself hurt. He never has before, but his lack of self control around other dogs is a behaviour that I'm trying to get rid of.

Last edited by CharlieB.Barkin; 06-07-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well you asked if it was a good idea. Pretty much the answer is no! You still have work to do! Yep you can do it and my not have any problems??

I don't put my dogs at risk I don't put other peoples dogs at risk! I don't trust others to do the same! Your kinda showing I'm right?

Kinda sad really.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Well you asked if it was a good idea. Pretty much the answer is no! You still have work to do! Yep you can do it and my not have any problems??

I don't put my dogs at risk I don't put other peoples dogs at risk! I don't trust others to do the same! Your kinda showing I'm right?

Kinda sad really.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I'm not taking him. I'm just trying to figure out how to work with him at this point.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB.Barkin View Post
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I'm not taking him. I'm just trying to figure out how to work with him at this point.
Well I read it as your thinking about it? So if I got it wrong...my bad!

But regardless the links in post three and especially, 'Who Pets my Puppy or Pet" is where I would and do start! It worked out just great for me and Rocky! And he had a serious "people issue!!"

More here in post 8:
New Dog, Very Challenging

And this:
**Selzer** Sitting On The Dog

I used to say, I never had a dog with issues where I saw the need, so I never had the need for doing this my dog, still don't! But... I have started working rescue, I was working with a dog with people issues (fear) did it today and OMG!! I kept the dog between my legs, a forced sit on occasion and he settled down and laid calmly at my feet and interacted with a few of the other dogs from that spot and he seemed as happy and goofy as the rest! (Boxers...so yeah) I was stunned and delighted!!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Well I read it as your thinking about it? So if I got it wrong...my bad!

But regardless the links in post three and especially, 'Who Pets my Puppy or Pet" is where I would and do start! It worked out just great for me and Rocky! And he had a serious "people issue!!"

More here in post 8:
New Dog, Very Challenging

And this:
**Selzer** Sitting On The Dog

I used to say, I never had a dog with issues where I saw the need, so I never had the need for doing this my dog, still don't! But... I have started working rescue, I was working with a dog with people issues (fear) did it today and OMG!! I kept the dog between my legs, a forced sit on occasion and he settled down and laid calmly at my feet and interacted with a few of the other dogs from that spot and he seemed as happy and goofy as the rest! (Boxers...so yeah) I was stunned and delighted!!
No worries. It was my poor communication. Originally I was considering it, but it became apparent that it was a bad idea.

Following that Leerburg article must be difficult if you live with a family.

Last edited by CharlieB.Barkin; 06-07-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

With my dog, who is mostly a butthead but slowly getting better, whenever we would get near other dogs when walking, I would pull him close to my side and keep walking straight, telling him to leave it as we went past. He has gotten to where he is much better on a leash, especially if we move off to the side or walk past unreacting dogs.

Public places with lots of people and dogs are chaotic. I will admit that I brought my pup with me and my golden (who is 100% safe with other dogs and people), with the goal in mind of praising him and rewarding him for simply staying quiet and observing other dogs. He actually did very well in the end, and was being very polite and calm. More of the issue was with people who weren't paying attention to their dogs or simply didn't seem to care that their dog was getting into other dog's or people's spaces.

I had one gentleman who looked offended when I told him that my puppy can be unpredictable at times with other dogs to warn him to reel his little italian grayhound in. I was sitting on the bumper of our ambulance and Doyle was laying down between my legs and under where I was sitting. I had both hands on his collar with my attention on both the dogs. He was a perfect boy, merely laying there until they left. He has been steadily getting better since he knows what I want from him. With new dogs, he is supposed to ignore them. If they happen to be in the group with us, he has to stay on task and leave them alone. It has worked for me in his case lol.

Just today he met a dog for the first time I know he never did and he wanted to PLAY with her when she came up! It's the first time I've ever seen him try to initiate play with a strange dog he just met. He isn't 100% perfect, but he gets very clear reward for what is wanted, and clear punishment when it isn't. He's hard to distract when he gets to a certain level, and he has a rather hard head lol. But he wants the reward more (generally getting to go play with his doggie friends and packmates) and his recall has gotten much sharper when we're out.

Took my golden til when he was 3 to suddenly seem to grow up and get everything I'd been trying to teach him. Dogs lol. Can't wait for the obnoxious stage to be over with!
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.