Camping - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Camping

So my husband and I like to go camping but haven't since we got Gunther. He's trained well enough now where I'm comfortable taking him out to go camping. I have questions though like:

1: What do you do for water while hiking?

2: Is a backpack a good idea and should I start putting one on him at home to get him comfortable in wearing one?

3: How have you taught your dog to stay away from the campfire? He's singed his tail (just the fur) once when we had a little fire in our backyard once.

4: For a 4 1/2 hour trip how many potty breaks should you give your dog?

5: Gunther doesn't like to poo outside of his backyard...I have waited an hour once when we went to work, walked around giving him the "Go potty" command (I fed him and then we left, no chance to poo in the backyard since we were running late) and he wouldn't go at all... When I say go potty he only piddles... Any tips?

I'm a little nervous about using just a basic tent (it's big enough for all three of us to fit into with lots of room) with all the different noises, but we have "camped" out in the backyard and he LOVED the tent, always wanted to go lay inside. I'm just worried with all the distractions he won't want to relax.

Thank you in advance for any tips or suggestions! Feel free add any info on anything that isn't questioned on this list!
AngelaA6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

How old is Gunther?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry don't have any input. But we're in the same exact situation. Were also planning a camping trip the end of this month and have all the same concerns / questions. I'm planning on taking a long line (25') and one of those screw in the ground anchors for when were just relaxing. Worried he'll see something and go after it..
lennyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
How old is Gunther?

Gunther will be 2 this month. Any younger and I wouldn't even contemplate a backpack.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok. Just get him used to the backpack before hand. He can carry his own water and food.

As for the fire, if you find out let me know. My last GSD grabbed a flaming log and took off through the woods with it, to greet sone new comers.

I would bet, if you hike him before hand, he will relax at night. Maybe not this first time, but he will get used to it.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Ok. Just get him used to the backpack before hand. He can carry his own water and food.

As for the fire, if you find out let me know. My last GSD grabbed a flaming log and took off through the woods with it, to greet sone new comers.

I would bet, if you hike him before hand, he will relax at night. Maybe not this first time, but he will get used to it.

That would be scary (in bold)

Thank you and I'll start training him with the backpack (trip won't be until late July or August so I have some time).
Old 06-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

for no legitimate reason i can give you, i don't like doggie back packs. there are cloth light weight crates you could try inside the tent, but if he really wanted out it wouldn.t hold him. i have never camped without having a water supply near by. cabelas sells those water purification tabs and containers. if i was really out in the middle of nowhere i would bring 4 x the amt of water i thought i needed.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They have canteens that turn into water bowls for water. I would stop at least once when traveling for 4 hours. We have bon fires all the time and the dogs just stay away from the fire , I still watch carefully. i strongly advise getting little locks for the tent so he can't push the zipper open in the middle of the night if he hears something. I learned this the hard way when camping with my dogs many years ago. The one heard the raccoons walking around the tent and busted out, the other dogs followed. It was 2am and pitch black, I couldn't do anything when they ran into the woods. They all came back by the time it got light out but it was very scary. They can't get out with the locks.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
They have canteens that turn into water bowls for water. I would stop at least once when traveling for 4 hours. We have bon fires all the time and the dogs just stay away from the fire , I still watch carefully. i strongly advise getting little locks for the tent so he can't push the zipper open in the middle of the night if he hears something. I learned this the hard way when camping with my dogs many years ago. The one heard the raccoons walking around the tent and busted out, the other dogs followed. It was 2am and pitch black, I couldn't do anything when they ran into the woods. They all came back by the time it got light out but it was very scary. They can't get out with the locks.
Would a carabiner work so we're not fumbling with keys in the dark? I'd have to check to see if the zipper tab is even big enough to accommodate the carabiner but it would be an easier thing to clip on and off.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaA6 View Post
Would a carabiner work so we're not fumbling with keys in the dark? I'd have to check to see if the zipper tab is even big enough to accommodate the carabiner but it would be an easier thing to clip on and off.
It would have to be on the smaller side to fit, but the concept is there.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.