Camping - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

We have camped with our new GSD our 5 times since he was four months old and he is now 6.5 months so he got used to it early, but we still prepped him with short hikes on trails at home before we left and camper beforehand we left. Our old dog was a 2 year rescue before we got her and took her camping too. They both have done great. We tent camped before with our old dog and she slept in the tent with us no problem. Will all of the excitement, hiking, new things to explore, etc...you will probably have no problems with him being so tired that he will go right to sleep beside you in the tent and be just fine.

You didn't say if you are packing into a remote area, campground, or what but at campgrounds around here (state parks especially), dogs are required to be on a 6 ft leash at all times. We did, however keep a bit of a longer line on ours and no one ever said anything.

For our youngster, we stop every 2 hours for a potty break...make sure we gave him plenty of exercise before we hit the road and he pretty much sleeps the whole way.

When you get there, before you even set up the tent, let him explore the area a bit to let him sniff and get to know the area. We always take one of those big water jugs (like on the sidelines at football games) of clean water plus a few gallon jugs in the back of the truck for extra. We also have a uv light water purifier if we need it.

Backpacks are great for dogs if you are doing long hikes, but what I think is more important are boots. Here, we have cactus and lots of rocks so we use them to protect their paws. We had to turn around once on a trail because there were so many little cactus thorns all over the place. For water, I carry a collapsible water bowl and pour water from my own bottle or camelback bladder for the dog.

For fire, watch the dog like you would a toddler. Keep the dog on a leash and don't leave him unattended. By fire time, our boy usually is exhausted and will just sit by me in my chair while he waits for his hotdog to be done! :-). Camping is so fun for our dog and it is the one place we let him eat "table food"...a fried egg, steak, and hot dogs. He loves it!

This year was the first year we have upgraded to a popup camper and we love it, but have always tent camped before. Oh, other tip is to make sure you get a can of bear spray. We had a bear in our camp last year and scared me to death! It went away on its own (we didn't have any food out), but wild animals will know/smell a dog and may be curious. We carry our gun and bear spray. Mountain lion encounters happen here an lot...one came into a camp near Tuscon last year and grabbed a dog and ran off with it! Yikes! Samson heard his first coyote howls last weekend camping, gave a couple of GSD head tilts at me, and went back to sleep.
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Oh and get a light that hangs on his collar for the dog at night. They sell them at camping stores.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tratkins View Post

You didn't say if you are packing into a remote area, campground, or what but at campgrounds around here (state parks especially), dogs are required to be on a 6 ft leash at all times. We did, however keep a bit of a longer line on ours and no one ever said anything.
We'll be at a KOA in Winthrop, WA it's a really nice campsite and is pet friendly. I'm going to keep him on his 6' leash just for safe keeping.

We're going with my sister and my brother in law and they're really finicky when it comes to "roughing it" and don't really like to. Took me like two years just to get her to TRY camping and now she likes it but it has to have a gazillion amenities.
AngelaA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tratkins View Post
Oh and get a light that hangs on his collar for the dog at night. They sell them at camping stores.

Dumb question.. Is the light for him to see or just to know where he's at? Would a smaller glow stick work?
lennyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

At least she is trying! Lol you should have plenty of access to water then! Have fun and let us know how it goes!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyb View Post
Dumb question.. Is the light for him to see or just to know where he's at? Would a smaller glow stick work?
It's for you to see him in the dark...especially if he runs out of the tent like the other poster mentioned. I think a glow stick tied to collar would work for a few hours.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

We have a small light that is activated by motion,( the light itself is red) so when Tess is laying down it's not irritating, just flashes when she walks. She's been camping with us since she was 3 months old and loves it. Depending on where we are we have strung a rope between trees and looped a rope over it to give her a little more range. We usually go early enough or late enough in the season that we don't always leash her, no other campers around us.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have taken all my dogs camping on numerous occasions..including chihuahuas and a puppy. Including drive up sites and canoe in sites.

If we are isolated I leave the GSDs loose and only let the small dogs in the tent.

If we are close to other campers I use a cable tie out for the big dog. If the need to get under cover they will usually crawl under some spruce boughs or a bush. If its a drive in site then bring a crate and the dog can sleep in the car.

For hiking trails GSD is on an E Collar, water is wherever they can find it (dont carry any). Plenty of lakes and rivers around here. I have been toying with making the current dog carrying our water and snacks.

I had the current dog camping at 4 months.

As for keeping up I like the Darwinistic approach. Stragglers get left behind..lol.

Have taken numerous dogs on long 14 hour multi day road trips. When we stop if they dont go...they dont go. (They all go eventually)

Dont worry about it the dog will adapt, its a GSD!

This dog was a fear aggressive mess. Had no issues.

Puppy on a hike. (take it easy on distance if they are young) I tossed her in the lake when she got too hot.

They find water were they can..lol.

Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

I would be worried about lepto (even with a vax) letting Gunther drink out of puddles/ponds/slow moving water.

Cute pups by the way! and as for a solid recall, not so much. That's why he's going to be on a leash at all times.
AngelaA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 12:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaA6 View Post
I would be worried about lepto (even with a vax) letting Gunther drink out of puddles/ponds/slow moving water.

Cute pups by the way! and as for a solid recall, not so much. That's why he's going to be on a leash at all times.

Thats why there are shots to prevent it. Risks are pretty low anyways around here. None of those dogs pictured were vaccinated.

Dont bubble wrap the dog!
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.