German Shepherds Forum banner

Multiple dog apartment people

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  DTS 
#1 ·
If you have multiple dogs and love in a apartment not on the first floor do you allow your dogs to play?
As in tug, wrestle, occasional zoomies?
Do you ever throw the ball for your dog if there is enough room?
Do you ever worry about the people below you?
Thoughts on this?

#2 ·
Ugh never been in that situation. Top of my head I would say it depends on your down stair neighbors. Running and thumping my not be a problem? Barking usually ticked off everyone!

If your really concerned, you could talk to your down stairs neighbors. Not a recommendation I make lightly! I despise our neighbors to our North!!!! A bunch of freaking A Hole barking dogs!!!

But this is a bit diffrent. :)

#3 ·
I only have one dog and I'm very conscious about making noise. Unfortunately, my dog is very noisy. Just him laying down is a huge loud event. He drops to the floor like a sack of bricks.

When I first got him and he did that I got scared, I thought he was sick. I had only cats before this and they're very silent and very gracious. This guy - lol not.

So yeah, when he plops I get stressed, when he carries the ball in his mouth and drops it a few times I take it away, basically, anything he does, if it makes noise I stop it after a few times.

Why do you ask? You have neighbors making noise or you're worrying about you making noise for neighbors?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Well this just started last night.
We have lived here for a year in this apartment. I'm not sure when the current down stairs neighbors moved in but I know they've been here at least 3-4 months.
Sometimes Titan and jasmine like to play. Before it gets too rowdy I normally break it up and most of the time they are separated for an hour or two so they leave each other alone.
Also Titan likes to bring us toys such as a ball or a tug. We don't really have a place to go to do this so I do it in the house.
Never longer than 10 minutes. And we don't do this past 8 pm.
For the last 2 nights whenever they start in, the down stairs neighbor has been banging on the ceiling. At first we thought someone was hammering something on the wall and I told my fiancé they only do it when the dogs trot, run or wrestle.
The dogs started in again today and they banged on the ceiling again so I know its because of the dogs.
However, she hasn't came to our door and the dogs always have done this.
I can't exactly take Titan to a field everytime he wants to play.
Our complex allows dogs on the second and third floors.
There is nothing in my lease that says my dogs can't rough house.
The only way I could possibly put a stop to this and please the downstairs neighbors is to keep them separated at all times and to not let Titan have toys in the house because he will play with himself.
I really don't want a confrontation and is rather not go down there and confront her.
They don't bark unless someone comes in or knocks. Titan will whine heavily if being fed or being taken out in the morning or when my fiancé gets home.
He's a 9 month old pup and extremely vocal when he gets excited.
His mother is the same way. Not sure how to correct plus we are trying to build drive for schutzhund

#5 ·
Personally I would not live anywhere but on a 1st floor apt with big dogs. I've lived on top and bottom so I get the frustration. It's not fair to have to so severely limit your dog's activity, however, it's also incredibly irritating to live below someone with multiple large animals. Even my 5lb cat sounds like a horse when she gets the zoomies upstairs.

#6 ·
Ugh OK much different! At this point you have already apparently pissed them off!

Two me two solutions come to mind, First there is this:
ww.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/426322-selzer-sitting-dog.html
Never done it never had the need.

Or the place command and E collar stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIGq_5r0DeE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opymp9-WJog&list=PLE3EB4CF76C25402C

I saw it used with a Bull Dog and yes it worked! But personally I know Bully Breeds and to me that Bull Dog while very well behaved just was not what I expect to see from a Bully! So there is that.

So maybe the sit on Dog thing is the middle ground??

#7 ·
I see. I probably wouldn't.

First of all, I don't want anyone hating my dog lol))) second, I do understand that some people don't care for any kind of noise.

We have someone at our building blasting music every day. He does it during the day, so not illegal. I don't bang but I do curse him out in my head lol. I don't want anyone cursing me out in their head.

So me personally, I wouldn't play inside the house and I don't. We go out every day, rain or snow, for at least an hour but usually two or three and all the playing is done outside

If I had two dogs I wouldn't separate them, i'd put away all toys and if they played with each other then i'd stop it.

But that's me, I'm probably too considerate)))))

#8 ·
I've been there done that with an 11 pound dog. Thank goodness I moved before Gunther grew. I would love to help but believe me when I tell you that what worked for me goes against every decent human being law there is. The two things that crossed the line for us was she NEVER did it when my husband was home (chicken) and she once had the audacity to bang at 4 in the afternoon when our grandchild was over. Some apartment complexes will let you switch to a vacant downstairs apartment with no new charges. I would suggest doing that if you don't want to be mean back.

#9 ·
There's something to be said for a good landlord/property manager too. My property manager always told me that it is my home and I have a right to do what I want in my home within legal hours. She said that if people don't like animals they shouldn't live in a pet friendly complex and that the same goes for kids. She always told me that it was unreasonable for anyone to expect me to keep the dog completely still 24-7. She also refused to accept heathen behavior and would send out letters and then fines to residents who banged on walls because that could result in property damage.

#11 ·
What kind of floors do you have? If they are wood floors, maybe put down a thicker large area rug to buffer the noise?

#12 · (Edited)
The problem with the apartment is, the only 2-1s are on the second and third floors. Titan gets taken out when I get home from work usually around 5.
We train, potty, and play around 30-45 mins of fetch depending on how long I get the dog park area in the complex for before someone walks in. He gets this once I get home and once later on in the evening after another short training session.
Then Jasmine gets her potty and goes for her walk as she isn't near as much energy as Titan.
Titan never stops. He doesn't run out of energy. Also it makes it tricky with his megaE because he has to eat 3x a day so I have to squeeze a meal in the afternoon but make sure he is calm before feeding.
We tried having someone come in and feed/ play with him but no one can handle him.
It's also hard when I am on call. I can't go out for long walks because I have to be ready to hop in the car and get to work quickly at any given time. I can be on call 2-5 days a week/weekends.
I'm not sure why this just started. We aren't doing anything different. I've Never seen/talked to this person before.
I guess we just are going to seperate them when home and no toys in the house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.