German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Getting my GSD tomorrow! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/457130-getting-my-gsd-tomorrow.html)

hev1128 06-04-2014 08:40 PM

Getting my GSD tomorrow!

We are adopting a GSD from our local shelter. She was a stray. We believe she is about 4 years old. The shelter calls her Helga...and we are changing that name. Name is not totally yet determined.

We haven't had a GSD before...but don't worry, I've talked to breeders, trainers, and did a ton of research.

Just wanted to say hi!

Any tips you could give me for our first couple days would be appreciated!

Heather

CharlieB.Barkin 06-04-2014 08:44 PM

I've never adopted a dog form a shelter before, but prepare for a lot of crying...maybe?

huntergreen 06-05-2014 01:56 AM

sign up for some basic obed instruction. will you both to get to know each other.

Castlemaid 06-05-2014 08:34 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for adopting! New Name dog is lucky to have you!

Take it easy and slow, allow her to get to know you, and you her. You don't know anything about her, so be very vigilant in all situations until you are satisfied that she is a safe and reliable dog. Keep her on leash, stick to a routine, supervise all interactions with people, dogs and other animals very carefully.

Keep her home for a couple of weeks, let her settle in and get to know her new routine before you throw new places and experiences at her. New dogs often go through a "Honeymoon" period. Often in the first couple of weeks or so, they are very, very, very good as they just hang back and observe their surroundings, try to not rock the boat and try hard to please as they figure out the pack dynamics and their place in it. Once they feel comfortable and a sense of belonging, their personality comes out, and they may start testing their boundries and sometimes getting into trouble - so just be aware of this.

Set a routine, keep her leashed at all times until you know her better, avoid dog parks (tons of dog park horror stories, avoid especially with a new dog that you don't know that well), crate her, or get her crate trained if she is not already, find out if she is spayed and get her spayed asap if needed, and do plan on classes. As mentioned, a great way to bond and have fun together.

Post pictures and keep us updated!

huntergreen 06-05-2014 10:12 AM

forgot to add "congrats" on finding your new friend.

Mister C 06-05-2014 10:53 AM

Welcome.

Lucia has provided great advice above. Enjoy the new dog!

hev1128 06-05-2014 03:59 PM

thanks all!
We are very excited.
Her crate is setup. She is spayed. We have a vet appointment on Saturday to get her microchipped and all checked out.
She was very very mellow in the shelter. So I anticipate a bit of rebellion. :)
We plan to walk her often, crate while not home for at least a few weeks and I'm already interviewing trainers. And we already discussed keeping her on leash in the house for at least the first few days.

Names are narrowed down to 2. Will post pics and name over the weekend!

Thanks for all the tips!
Heather

Mac's Mom 06-05-2014 06:13 PM

I'm so excited for you all! I am really looking forward to seeing the pictures. I've never met a mellow German Shepherd. That's great. :) I'm really impressed at how prepared and obviously committed you are. This is going to be awesome.

SBS 06-05-2014 06:43 PM

Congrats

I've never adopted before, but have tried too. The local shelter is picky........ Too picky. I do however watch other dogs other than my own. Just prepare yourself for a few mistakes. There just going to happen. Have patients with your new friend, and you will be rewarded in more ways then you can imagine. GSD's are great dogs! When given the chance, they instinctively want to make you happy. It's now going to be your job to teach the new resident how to make you happy.

Once communication gets established, your new friend is going to try there hardest to please you.

Fezzik von barry 06-05-2014 08:37 PM

Congrats!
Everyone hit the nail on the head. Just be lucky you dont have to go through the puppy teething....lol.
you sound like youre ready. Cant wait to see pics and her name