Collar Horror Stories? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CharlieB.Barkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 206
Default Collar Horror Stories?

While looking for a new dog collar, I have come across a lot of horror stories involving all kinds of dog collars. They typically involve a second dog getting it's jaw stuck between the collar and the neck of the first dog, or the tags on the collar getting stuck on something, like a crate, or a fence.

I don't like the idea of my dogs going about without a collar at any time, so what could be done to minimize this?

I would think that getting a name plate riveted into the collar can prevent the tags from getting stuck on anything, but my municipality gives out these registration tags, so there will still be one present regardless. I saw in a video that you could inner tube to strap them down.

When I fit my dog's collars, I like to give them a lot of space. I can usually fit 4 fingers between the collar and my dog's neck. Could this potentially put them in danger? I don't like putting them on this tight:


I also hear that it's safer to use a quick release clip, as opposed to a belt style buckle. My only problem with this is that I question the durability of any plastic buckle. Especially during the winters here when it can get to -40 degrees celsius. I would only feel comfortable using a metal buckle.
__________________
Hi, I'm Charlie. And, you are?
-Antonio
Charlie-GSD 5/30/2011-
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Magwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,399
Default

I lost a dog many years ago to a collar accident. We switched to Chinook Break-away collars, and don't leave anything else on the dogs. They are much safer, you can put tags on them, and you can grab both rings quickly to keep an exuberant dog from bolting, if needed. (The company has GREAT customer service -- when mine were young, they figured out how to get the collars off and use them as tug-of-war toys, and Chinook sold me replacements at a deep discount, even though it was no fault of theirs, as I had to replace them several times until the dogs tired of that game.)

Your Dog Collar Story: Chinook & Co.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 24,609
Default

And don't forget, if you leave a leash on the collar anything can happen!
http://www.wdrb.com/story/25680209/c...-car-into-pond
__________________
Jane~
Kept by Onyx, Kacie and Karlo
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CharlieB.Barkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
And don't forget, if you leave a leash on the collar anything can happen!
Canton, Mass. man claims puppy drove car into pond - WDRB 41 Louisville News
That's definitely a strange story. It seems more like negligence to me than anything else.
__________________
Hi, I'm Charlie. And, you are?
-Antonio
Charlie-GSD 5/30/2011-
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CharlieB.Barkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I lost a dog many years ago to a collar accident. We switched to Chinook Break-away collars, and don't leave anything else on the dogs. They are much safer, you can put tags on them, and you can grab both rings quickly to keep an exuberant dog from bolting, if needed. (The company has GREAT customer service -- when mine were young, they figured out how to get the collars off and use them as tug-of-war toys, and Chinook sold me replacements at a deep discount, even though it was no fault of theirs, as I had to replace them several times until the dogs tired of that game.)

Your Dog Collar Story: Chinook & Co.
Those are interesting. From reading through the website, it seems like you have to call to make an order. I wonder if they make them for toy breeds as well.

My only concern with that collar would involve it unintentionally coming undone and then the dogs are loose without a collar or identification tags. I do like this option, but are there alternatives?
__________________
Hi, I'm Charlie. And, you are?
-Antonio
Charlie-GSD 5/30/2011-
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Magwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,399
Default

You want a collar that will release under pressure when you are away if the dog gets caught on something. If it doesn't do that, you haven't solved the risk. It doesn't come off easily--it requires a good, sharp tug to release. Now that our dogs are older, we only find them in the yard if there's been some serious rough-housing going on (very rare) -- and when we find one, we know the collar did what it was supposed to, since rough-housing in a collar is how we lost a dog years ago (when another dog's jaw slid under the collar, the one wearing the collar rolled, creating a figure-8 around the jaw; the harder the dog on top pulled, the more it strangled the dog on the bottom).

We microchip our dogs, too, so there's a second layer of protection in case a collar and tags come off.

You can buy them on Amazon too:
Amazon Amazon
. I like calling to buy them though because the customer service has been excellent.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
shepherdmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rural Nevada
Posts: 4,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB.Barkin View Post
While looking for a new dog collar, I have come across a lot of horror stories involving all kinds of dog collars. They typically involve a second dog getting it's jaw stuck between the collar and the neck of the first dog, or the tags on the collar getting stuck on something, like a crate, or a fence.

I don't like the idea of my dogs going about without a collar at any time, so what could be done to minimize this?

I would think that getting a name plate riveted into the collar can prevent the tags from getting stuck on anything, but my municipality gives out these registration tags, so there will still be one present regardless. I saw in a video that you could inner tube to strap them down.

When I fit my dog's collars, I like to give them a lot of space. I can usually fit 4 fingers between the collar and my dog's neck. Could this potentially put them in danger? I don't like putting them on this tight:


I also hear that it's safer to use a quick release clip, as opposed to a belt style buckle. My only problem with this is that I question the durability of any plastic buckle. Especially during the winters here when it can get to -40 degrees celsius. I would only feel comfortable using a metal buckle.
Rolled leather was recommended to me nearly 30 years ago by a rescue. I love them. My dogs wear them 24-7. I use either a halter or martingale when we are out and about but the leather collar is always on.

http://www.petco.com/product/10973/P...-in-Black.aspx
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 24,609
Default

My 3 dogs have never worn collars when on our property. For over 7 years we've never needed a collar for their "safety".... they are all microchipped(one is also tattoo'd but that won't identify his owner/address).

I will not have them wear collars when we aren't training or they are unsupervised.
Collars and tags can get caught in floor heat vents or on drawer or cabinet pulls/handles(I've seen this happen first hand).
Truth be told, a collar won't bring my dogs safely home, none of them would willingly go up to strangers to be 'caught' if they were to stray.
I'm diligent in making sure they are always in my sight when outside and our gates are locked.
I would rather have a breakaway collar for safety than one the dog couldn't slide out of if it meant panic or worse.
__________________
Jane~
Kept by Onyx, Kacie and Karlo
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 25,565
Default

I use a leather collar with a buckle, but I only put a collar on the dog when we are leaving the property. At home dogs are naked. Most are chipped. I haven never had a collar accident, but then, I am usually actively interacting with one dog when there is a collar on anyone.

I had a choke chain accident with my first GCD, where he fell asleep on the deck and the ring fell through the slats of the decking and he tried to stand up and couldn't. Then he panicked and circled around and around, and finally made a strangled cry. I went out there thinking he attacked someone and found him stuck to the deck. I quickly called my landlords and they rushed over, and the three of us managed to get him free.

No collars on my dogs when I am not supervising. Though I do leave rick rack or puppy collars on babies, and haven't had a problem with that.

Yet.
__________________
Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,795
Default

like those break away collars as long as the dog is chipped.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum