German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Dog bites and attacks (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/456370-dog-bites-attacks.html)

Bridget 06-02-2014 03:29 PM

Dog bites and attacks

I was unsure where to put this, as it is mostly just the meanderings of my mind. I volunteer at a shelter, so hear about "bit histories," etc. I am thinking that anymore people do not know the difference between a dog bite and a dog "attack." Back when I was a child, dog bites were something that mainly happend only to children, almost always a result of either a child's meanness or foolishness. From what I can remember, usually the dog was neither held responsible, not blamed and the parents usually took a "serves you right" attitude. Dog attacks on the other hand almost never happened. I think because almost all humans had leadership skills back then and it would not have crossed a dog's mind to attack a human; wouldn't have wanted to, nor would they have dared. If a dog did "attack," it would have been put down immediately without question. It just seems to me that people no longer know the difference and every nip is considered a huge, serious affair.

Humans also had the leadership to parent without child rearing classes too, LOL, but that's another story...

hunterisgreat 06-02-2014 03:33 PM

agree... big difference between a "go away, leave me alone" bite, and a "i'm going to enjoy hurting you" bite.

Courtney 06-02-2014 03:37 PM

I swear it all started when that women got burned by the coffee at McDonalds and sued...seriously:)

hunterisgreat 06-02-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtney (Post 5593026)
I swear it all started when that women got burned by the coffee at McDonalds and sued...seriously:)

There was some merit to that case... she had major burns requiring skin grafts, loss of sexual pleasure, etc.. if you're handing something that dangerous to someone, it should have better containment and clearer warnings..

Courtney 06-02-2014 03:44 PM

I understand, however lawsuits soared after that case.

scarfish 06-02-2014 03:58 PM

agreed there's a difference. i also think most bites could be avoided if parents supervised and taught their kids how to act around dogs a little better.

other day wife and i were walking our dogs off leash down abandoned RR tracks (only secluded place around). a little 5 year old was playing in his front yard of the last house of a dead end that ends just before the tracks. he saw us, ran off his yard, down the last 30 feet of street and started running up this little dirt foot path going up to the tracks the whole time screaming "doggie doggie". he made it about 5 feet from one of our dogs before she barked and charged at him a few feet. little kid then turned and started running away screaming in fear. we were about 20 feet from the dog and called her to us and luckily she listened and didn't chase the kid. she is trained to completely ignore strangers but has never dealt with anything like that. she was in full defensive mode. if that kid got any closer to her he would've gotten bit. not attacked but definitely bit. in the eyes of animal control it would've been our fault.

stupid kids. /rant

Kayos and Havoc 06-02-2014 04:16 PM

Scarfish I think I would have called the dog to me and leashed her the second I saw the kid start toward her. Glad the dog listened.

A little warning nop these days is an 'attack'. A barking dog that scares someone is an attack. Most people anymore are real candy butts.

Bridget 06-02-2014 04:26 PM

I am sure the liability issue is a huge part. If most folks can somehow get rich without working, and especially if they figure insurance is going to pay them (in other words it won't hurt any one individual) they are going to do it. Also, I think people are so overprotective of their children anymore. Kids are no longer made to take responsibility for their own actions. OMG I am starting to sound like a dinosaur again!

scarfish 06-02-2014 04:33 PM

the whole thing happened so fast, seconds. by the time we realized what was happening the kid was already almost to the tracks. our dog was also off the tracks to the side of the street. when i first realized the kid was running towards her i did call her but not in the loudest voice and she didn't immediately come. took a second call but by that time she had already barked at him and he was running away. then she ran towards us. she was scolded for her failure to immediately come under distraction and she'll have her Ecollar on next time off leash and she's not allowed to have as much distance from us anymore.

she has always been fine with immediate recalls from other distractions, dogs to squirrels and everything in between. we never dealt with someone charging and screaming. in a sense i'm kinda proud she has a good protective instinct.

martemchik 06-02-2014 04:36 PM

I’m young, but I have a feeling there were “dog attacks” back in the day, you just didn’t have facebook or twitter to find out about some small news story that happened all the way across the country in a non-existent town that no one cares about. It amazes me every day how I have people from my area sharing “lost dog” posts from California or some other faraway place as if someone in Wisconsin is then going to find the dog. But that’s how connected we are now…

Won’t know for sure, but I feel that a story like the one about the cat protecting the kid from the dog, would’ve just been local news back then, it wouldn’t have “gone viral” and forced the national media to pick it up.

There was a rescue just south of me that just got shut down due to bad conditions...how many of you have heard about it? I wouldn't be surprised if someone did, or if no one did. Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.