German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Best Guard Dog Breed? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/455026-best-guard-dog-breed.html)

CharlieB.Barkin 05-29-2014 01:41 AM

Best Guard Dog Breed?

I would love to hear people's opinions and experiences when it comes to guard/protection dogs. It's something that I've always been interested in, but never really required.

So what breed do you think makes the most capable guard/protection dog (generally)? I don't want to state my opinion just yet (I don't want my opinion to influence your choices. I just want your raw/personal opinion.). With that said, I'm inclined to believe that it's not the GSD.

I'm not looking for a new dog any time in the foreseeable future. I'm just asking out of pure curiosity.

If you consider this a different category, what dog do you think has the highest "stopping power"?

I hope I chose the right place for this thread :confused:

canyadoit 05-29-2014 02:46 AM

They had a dog on the Berlin Wall A russian cossack dog It's breeding was to rip the throat out of a running wolf The Russians used it to do the same to running communist If the handler went down the dog got shot
Myself I take the german shepherd's dog Call them my single action 44 locked and cocked Both make a mighty roar and leave impressive holes

Juliem24 05-29-2014 03:02 AM

I've never met a welcoming Chow, and come to think of it, neither have I met a welcoming Akita.

MustLoveGSDs 05-29-2014 03:49 AM

For protection, the only breed developed solely for personal protection..The Doberman.

For guarding...something like a Black Russian Terrier would be pretty intimidating.

hunterisgreat 05-29-2014 08:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
For protection. A solid working GSD with necessary sharpness

For guarding. Maybe a big mastiff type

LaRen616 05-29-2014 08:56 AM

For personal protection and guarding I say the Doberman.

I have 4 Dobermans in my life right now and all of them are excellent watch/guard dogs. I baby sit 2 of them at my house every now and then and they all start guarding my yard immediately. They make sure their presence is known and watch people walk past or they alert me to whatever is going on outside.

My GSD has protected me from 2 men in the past and he alerts me when he hears something going on and he does guard his yard but I still believe the Doberman is a better breed when it comes to guarding/watching/protecting.

blackshep 05-29-2014 09:42 AM

I think it depends on the type of guarding work as to which breed is best, and of course the individual dog.

At the end of the day, the best guard dog/PP dog is a trained one, and the breed doesn't really matter.

huntergreen 05-29-2014 10:14 AM

blackshep nailed it!

hunterisgreat 05-29-2014 10:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 5577786)
I think it depends on the type of guarding work as to which breed is best, and of course the individual dog.

At the end of the day, the best guard dog/PP dog is a trained one, and the breed doesn't really matter.

There is a reason professional protection dogs are almost exclusively 2 breeds

martemchik 05-29-2014 10:19 AM

I was at a Schutzhund seminar this past weekend and the TD/helper said something that really stuck with me…”Rare breeds are rare for a reason, if they were capable of doing the work, there would be more of them.”

As to the Dobermans guarding? Lots of dogs bark when there is a fence between them and the threat. The true test is seeing what happens when the threat starts to move in on the dog. Most Dobermans I've seen...leave a lot to be desired.