German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Getting an 6 year old dog, good idea? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/454946-getting-6-year-old-dog-good-idea.html)

paigedanielle3 05-28-2014 08:16 PM

Getting an 6 year old dog, good idea?

So this Sunday we are getting a 6 year old female white German shepherd. The owners are giving her to us because she doesn't get along with their current dog which is a pit bull. Diamond(the shepherd) is said to be very obedient and healthy. Is getting her when she is 6 years old and has had a litter of puppies in the past , a good idea? Will she still live a while longer ? We just have to get her fixed but she has all vet shots and is up to date. And she's very obedient. Do a lot of health problems possibly set in around this age? Please reply! Thanks :) need some advice!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

sit,stay 05-28-2014 08:31 PM

I think six years old is a great age! She will be settled into adulthood, but still have plenty of spunk left. She could easily live for another six or seven years. Maybe more.

I know you said she was already trained, but I always advise new owners to go through a training class with their dog. It is a great way to promote a strong bond, and is a lot of fun.

Good luck! And don't forget to post pictures!
Sheilah

lovemygirl 05-28-2014 08:51 PM

6 is a great age! :) She will be a full adult which is awesome ;-)

Has she only been with her current owners a short time? (Just wondering because you mentioned she doesn't get along with their "current dog" so I'm guessing their pit bull has been there longer.)

Definitely get her established with a vet / bring her in for a check ASAP and, while you're waiting to bring her home, read around: Rescue, Foster & Adoption Information (General) - German Shepherd Dog Forums and Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums and Health Issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums and, well, just everywhere :)

Good luck! Will Diamond be your first GSD?

Cara Fusinato 05-28-2014 09:21 PM

I have adopted dogs from 3 years to 7 years and have had plenty of time with them.

Have her vet checked and spayed. During that recovery just gently become friends and learn the routine. Give her 1-2 months to just get used to the new home and for you to learn what she knows and does not know.

Then, take her to a good training class. The best thing about training class is not that they learn sit or down, it's that it helps for a team with the members of the family and strengthens the bond. Take her through a class or two and it will be very very good for all of you, not only for skills but for the relationship.

I love adopting adults.

huntergreen 05-29-2014 09:20 AM

congrats and enjoy!!!!!!

paigedanielle3 05-29-2014 10:04 AM

Thank you all for the advice! I'm so excited to bring her home :) and yes she has been with the other owners since a puppy and the pit bull has been there longer. We have had 2 GSD's in the past, but both did not live past puppy stage because they were both runts and had severe health issues. Our last GSD was actually from Diamonds litter. And the breeders asked us if we would take Diamond because she needed a good home :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App