GSD puppy with small 1 year old dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSD puppy with small 1 year old dog

Hey all,

Planning on getting a GSD puppy soon and wanted some info on what to teach/expect when bringing home our new little guy. Right now we have a 4 lb morkie that isnt going to get much bigger. What can I expect with bringing a GSD into the mix? Our morkie has a HUGE play drive and can take a beating. When she was about 4 months old she was playing with the pitbulls and taking the hits.

As the GSD gets bigger and older will he know to watch how hard he plays and respect the dog as a dog and not a chew toy?

Any stories of small dogs with GSDs would be great!
Jakemac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am in that same situation with a strong willed 6 month old GSD male. It requires a lot of training and management from the day you bring in your pup to keep the small dog safe and happy and you sane.
Technically the older dog should be in charge of a pup but the pup will quickly figure out that he/she is much stronger than the older one and it is an unnatural situation. Do not let that small dog "take hits" because it will get her injured or worse.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

if he has a strong prey drive, the "morkie" might not fair so well.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
if he has a strong prey drive, the "morkie" might not fair so well.
How can you determine that when you find a puppy?
Jakemac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Delgado lives with a 3.5 lb yorkie mix and 12 lb poodle happily

Be firm and fair but set the expectations for BOTH dogs right off the bat, I have equal expectations of both my dogs.

Playing is fine as long as both dogs are happy and having fun, if it becomes one sided then step in immediately and stop it. If one of the dogs is bugging the other, step in and stop it. The dogs quickly learn what's acceptable and what's not

Treats, toys, and attention are all shared equally at all times and if there's something special it belongs to that dog alone and seperation is easiest to prevent fighting. If I give out bones and one dog finishes before the other I don't allow the one that's finished to bug the one still enjoying the treat

Something I do personally is set aside special time for each dog, for instance Delgado loves to play rough and fast and Jazzy doesn't so I take him out to the backyard and we'll play fetch or with a flirt pole and Jazzy can lie on the couch and enjoy the peace and quiet. Jazzy loves cuddling so before bed she gets snuggles and a massage and she enjoys the one on one attention. They both enjoy hiking, car rides, and lying on the couch so that time is shared

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

jakemak, i have had both. a gsd with low prey drive, and my last kyra, who just couldn't help chasing our jrt and cat. the breeder you deal with should be guiding you on this. do your research.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.