German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Long lead recommendations?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/454546-long-lead-recommendations.html)

JerryLeeK9 05-27-2014 01:00 PM

Long lead recommendations??

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all, I'm somewhat new here. Just rescued my best friend Jerry Lee about 15 weeks ago and put him through the needed HW treatments. He is AMAZING now and is the best thing that could have happened to me.

I'm taking him on vacation to a cabin and he will have lots of room to run. I have not let him roam free outside because it worries me. Even though I don't think he would leave me I wanted to get him a long lead to keep him from getting to curious in the new sights and wilderness tat will surround us.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a long lead I should get? He's an 80 lbs Dutchie/GSD cross and reaches low flying jet aircraft speeds haha. Should I get a harness too or just use his normal collar?

Thanks in advance! Jerry thanks you too!

SpookyShepherd 05-27-2014 01:06 PM

I get mine from k9noz.com

eddie1976E 05-27-2014 02:17 PM

I got mine at amazon. 20 ft for $10. We are working with a puppy on long/distracted recalls.

Sunflowers 05-27-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookyShepherd (Post 5570514)
I get mine from k9noz.com

Yep! Me, too! And once you order a gripper leash, you will never again reach for anything else.

JerryLeeK9 05-27-2014 04:21 PM

Thanks guys! I'll check out K9noz.com

jocoyn 05-27-2014 05:03 PM

Don't let him sell you the lockjaw snap. Honest I know a bunch of folks who hate it including me! Many of the SAR handlers I know use his stuff and I have some too. Of course you can do fine with a length of tubular nylon webbing (not flat webbing) simply tied to a clip :)

jafo220 05-27-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryLeeK9 (Post 5570466)
Hey all, I'm somewhat new here. Just rescued my best friend Jerry Lee about 15 weeks ago and put him through the needed HW treatments. He is AMAZING now and is the best thing that could have happened to me.

I'm taking him on vacation to a cabin and he will have lots of room to run. I have not let him roam free outside because it worries me. Even though I don't think he would leave me I wanted to get him a long lead to keep him from getting to curious in the new sights and wilderness tat will surround us.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a long lead I should get? He's an 80 lbs Dutchie/GSD cross and reaches low flying jet aircraft speeds haha. Should I get a harness too or just use his normal collar?

Thanks in advance! Jerry thanks you too!

That is one good looking shepherd!

I got my long lead from a local pet store. That with a flat collar works for me. I would recommend some training in basic obedience though before using it. Collars and leashes can cause injuries to you and the dog if he reaches warp speed with the long lead on. You will run out of leash fast and the sudden stop is painful. Trust me.:D

lalachka 05-27-2014 06:28 PM

Hey, jafo. This happens to us a lot. I fell a few times already (I had him tied to my waist on a 33ft) and when I let him drag 33 ft I'm always worrying he will get caught on something.

It seems like you had the same problems, how did you solve them? Both if it's dragging and tied to you?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mrs.P 05-27-2014 07:47 PM

I third k9noz.com. Love my leads from them

huntergreen 05-27-2014 08:18 PM

good looking dog!!!!!!!!