German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Advice please (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/454273-advice-please.html)

jahoosh711 05-26-2014 06:01 PM

Advice please

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can stop my 6mo from throwing his water away. What I mean is I leave him in the backyard when I go to work. I have a covered patio with lots of shade. I leave him 2 big bowls of water, he is alone for about 5-6hrs, but when I come back the bowls are empty and on the grass. He has never done this before until just the last week. I know he hasn't been drinking all the water because when I bring him inside and fill up his bowl he drinks it all right away as if he hasn't had any water all day.

VTGirlT 05-26-2014 06:07 PM

You could try:

1.) A huge ceramic bowl that he can't flip or drag around (I know someone who does this in their house!)

2.) Or an elevated dog bowls! :) If he is like my dog he probably drags them around with his paw then they are almost empty and than she carries it somewhere while dumping the rest out! So perhaps that will help! (However my dog did figure out how to remove the bowl from the elevated tray!

gsdsar 05-26-2014 06:11 PM

Get a horse water bucket and clip it something he can't move.

Sounds like he is bored, throwing noisy water bowls around is great fun, my dogs love it, usually in the middle of the Walking Dead or GoT. But man do they love that banging noise!!! Me, not so much.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Nigel 05-26-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5566913)

Sounds like he is bored, throwing noisy water bowls around is great fun, my dogs love it, usually in the middle of the Walking Dead or GoT. But man do they love that banging noise!!! Me, not so much.

Lol! Noise is fun!

How about a extra small kiddie pool, of course he could invent a new game of dig a hole in the bottom of it. Might try upping the amount of exercise before you leave.

Sabis mom 05-26-2014 06:44 PM

A rubber horse bucket chained off the ground to a post or fence. Not the cheapy colored buckets, the old, heavy rubber, kinda ugly, black ones. The pretty ones aren't as durable.

I have dogs that do the same thing and this was the best way I have found to stop it. A simple chain with a clip to secure it, off the ground a bit. I also make blocks of ice in cheap baking pans and toss those outside with the dogs when it's warm out. Endless entertainment for free, and it keeps them cool.

I second upping the exercise though, sounds like a bored dog amusing himself.

llombardo 05-26-2014 08:41 PM

I would do the horse water bucket. If the weather permits maybe a baby pool filled enough for him to play and not hurt himself in if he gets bored.

Steve Strom 05-26-2014 08:49 PM

We have a couple of these we clip to the kennels. They look as good as they did in 1993.

http://shop.woodwardcrossingscountry...ade-PHS-14.htm

SuperG 05-26-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5566913)

gsdar read my mind....I got a squared back stainless bucket and clipped it to the kennel wall for my past two shepherds....for the exact same problem as OP.

My current GSD used to be amused by knocking the water bowl over...always cracked me up...nothing like walking into the kitchen and slipping on a puddle of water while she chuckled at what a potted plant I was to fall for the same gag...didn't last long however...used the bucket again but not secured to anything in the kitchen...but did try my patience....problem worked itself out shortly.

Also agree with the possible reason as to why as well....boredom does create for new forms of available recreation.

SuperG

racer 05-26-2014 10:55 PM

lowes has 5 gallon food grade buckets I have 1 and a large metal water bowl outside

Chip18 05-26-2014 10:58 PM

Yep something big and heavy! My stupid bedrooms cats like slapping the water out of there water dish!!! Great fun!