My DDR/Czech GSD was chased off by a deer. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default My DDR/Czech GSD was chased off by a deer.

LOL. I may be making way too big of a deal out of this. I was throwing his ball across the yard into the wooded lot as I always do. All of a sudden I hear a huge ruckus and out he comes as fast as he can with a 75lb doe hot on his heels. These small whitetail around here are not aggressive like a mule deer. We assumed she was protecting her fawn.

My question is this. He is almost 11 months old and doesn't act scared of anything and has shown a good amount of protection drive. Why was he afraid of a little doe? Shouldn't he have fought back if the deer attacked him? He didn't even bring his ball back. Is it that he is young? Is this part of the slow to mature part?

As I said it may be no big deal. I just have a problem with my supposed to be big bad male DDR/Czech "fight til death" buddy turning tail and running in fear from a deer.
Gunther der Heinz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Did he go back in afterwards to get his ball? If not then yeah your dog might be a wuss

On the bright side you don't have to worry about him chasing deer.
simba405 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Every seen a deer attack! I would run too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

has he ever encountered deer before?? Maybe something new ..

I have a herd of deer that are here every day, behind my fenced in yard (husband feeds them)..my czech/ddr girl doesn't chase them, she is so used to them being around, along with turkeys,woodchucks, squirrels, rabbits IN the yard, she doesn't even bother with them..I don't consider her a wuss because she leaves them alone, but I don't think she'd back off from one that challenged her either..Not saying your boy is a wuss at all, he's young, mine is 6 years old and has basically grown up with the wildlife here, plus I have chickens she hangs with..

I wouldn't worry about it, you don't want him chasing deer anyhow, here a dog can be shot for running wildlife.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

LOL, yes, at 11 months, he is just a baby, and not ready to take on a defensive/protective role.

Czech/DDR dogs mature notoriously slow. So he won't be an adult until he is 3 or 4 years old. Maybe he will be a more cautious type of dog, or he may be a different dog, with nerves of steel - give him time to grow up.

As an example, I do IPO/protection training with 1/2 Czech dog. Evem at 16 months of age, the trainer and I could see that he had a lot of potential inside, but he was still a somewhat unsure pup. Too much pressure in training, and he 'tuned out' - I let him mature at his own pace, and didn't put him to test again until he was 3 years old - very different results! No worries about his mental strenghts (not that I had any to start with).

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A startle reflex is instinctive, just like when a human jumps if someone pops a balloon behind the head most times. It's how fast they bounce back that really shows their nerves, but even then there are certain weaknesses that may or may not be overcome. Your dog may be the complete opposite if the same scenario happens tonight, or he may be leery around deer for the rest of his life. Either way, it's part of who he is for better or worse

I've never seen Delgado scared of anything, but last week we had a major thunderstorm and while both dogs were outside there was a loud BOOM that literally shook the house and scared the bejeebus out of me. Both dogs hightailed it back into the house in a flash, but two seconds later Delgado was back at the door wanting to go back outside again. Just because they are startled doesn't mean they are weak nerved. This is the same dog that sat through a Canada Day fireworks show at 5 months old and ended up dozing through part of it! The noise caught him offguard, that's all

BTW - Delgado is DDR/Czech/WG working line

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

He sees them every day. They are everywhere. No, he did not act timid afterwards. He went back and got his ball. He starts to chase them but he calls back easily. Immediately after that episode he saw others and alerted and went towards them until I called him back.
Gunther der Heinz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

remember the attacking dog that got chased off by the cat ?

A deer protecting her young is going to be very assertive . Just think of it as saved vet bills.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther der Heinz View Post
He sees them every day. They are everywhere. No, he did not act timid afterwards. He went back and got his ball. He starts to chase them but he calls back easily. Immediately after that episode he saw others and alerted and went towards them until I called him back.
Then you have nothing to worry about in that regard IMO

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

My dog would go after the deer every time he would see or hear them, many times way before I could. Thank god he had a bullet proof recall, otherwise I'd be worried to get him back...
alexg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.