German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Help! Moving with German Shepherd! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/453602-help-moving-german-shepherd.html)

AllyMW 05-23-2014 05:29 PM

Help! Moving with German Shepherd!

Good Afternoon!

My husband & I are moving to Miami, Florida to live with his dad, But shortly after that we are moving to Orlando, Florida we are having a hard time finding an apartment that allows German Shepherds (our GS is only aboout 35/40lbs).

Does anyone know any apartment complexes that allow German Shepherds?

Thank you!
Ally

:help:

Mary Beth 05-23-2014 10:37 PM

It may be easier to just say that your well behaved dog weighs only 35 lbs. If you have lived previously in an apt. with your dog, it would also help to use that landlord as a reference. I would contact a real estate agent that also handles rentals.

Mrs.P 05-23-2014 10:52 PM

Help! Moving with German Shepherd!

I recommend creating a doggie resume of sorts. Including any obedience titles or certificates of courses you have completed and vet records (up to date on shots license #) ect.

Where I live the homeowner bend their weight limit rule for us. And I live in the town of foo foo dogs. I believe Enzo's simple resume helped tremendously.

I have had better luck with going through private homeowners than apartment complexes/ property management companies.

Good luck!

wyoung2153 05-24-2014 12:02 AM

I second the resume thing. I have moved 4 times with Titan. he is 4 and weighs 95 lbs, so a little different in weight. It also helps if you can talk directly to the owner vs the rental company. That or hire a Realtor to find somewhere. It's getting harder and harder because it isn't so much the weight as the breed. Often it's the home owner's insurance that won't allow the dog. Unfortunately here, in NW FL, they also just don't like big dogs.

Start a resume of sorts. OB certs, letters from people that know her, previous land lords, etc. Any other proof you have that your dog isn't a threat. That will go a long way believe it or not.

Good luck, house hunting with a GSD isn't ideal at all if you aren't buying.

Mrs.P 05-24-2014 10:06 AM

Oh yes letters from previous landlords is what I forgot! Another thing I have shown is proof I have received my full deposit back (showing to my possible landlords that Enzo did not destroy the property).

Since you have that couple of months in Miami I would find an obedience class to go to if you haven't done so already. Maybe you can start a thread asking for suggestions on training. I am also pretty sure they have a pretty active GSD club you can try to contact as well.

Amurphy26 05-24-2014 01:47 PM

Pet references. I've always rented and always had big dogs. I provide references from previous landlords and vets. Not sure how it works in the states but as well as the usual house deposit I offer an extra pet deposit. I haven't had any problems with finding somewhere.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App