German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Always owned male dogs- getting a female GSD? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/452585-always-owned-male-dogs-getting-female-gsd.html)

jrennie15 05-20-2014 11:12 PM

Always owned male dogs- getting a female GSD?

Hi there,

I am soon to be a first time GSD owner if everything works out as planned.

I have done a lot of reading on this forum about differences between male and female. I have always owned male dogs and they certainly fit the description of goofy, velcro dog etc- and I love that about them! I see females are more independent, not as affectionate, more standoffish as a general rule.

The breeder I am dealing with is great but she is suggesting a female dog would pair better with my other male dog (little pomeranian). If I am used to a male dog being your "shadow/velcro dog" do you think I may find a female dog to not be as good of a companion or maybe a little disappointing?

I know how dumb that sounds.. I am just a little bit iffy on making my final decision to get a female and I could use some advice/input from all of you experts out there!

Thank you!

Zeus Cannon 05-20-2014 11:30 PM

if you want a male get a male im sure you will be happy with a female to but i dont think your Pomeranian will make a difference if your getting a pup.

Neko 05-20-2014 11:34 PM

We have a 15 month old male and now a 6 month old female, she is turning out to be just as much of a velcro.

We never had a female dog before, but we are really enjoying her and she gets along well with her brother. I am glad it was recommended we get a female to live with a male :)

jrennie15 05-20-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeus Cannon (Post 5545249)
if you want a male get a male im sure you will be happy with a female to but i dont think your Pomeranian will make a difference if your getting a pup.

It was suggested that we get a female because the Pom "thinks" he is as big as a GSD and the breeder thinks there would be less conflict/dominance issues between him and a female as opposed to two males and the female might put up with his crap a little bit more.

jrennie15 05-20-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neko (Post 5545257)
We have a 15 month old male and now a 6 month old female, she is turning out to be just as much of a velcro.

We never had a female dog before, but we are really enjoying her and she gets along well with her brother. I am glad it was recommended we get a female to live with a male :)

Thanks for the response! That makes me feel a little bit better. I know a lot of people find male dogs a little bit "silly" and immature but I kind of like their sense of humour! This breeder appears to be great and has a lot of good feedback on this board, I certainly trust her judgement. I have just never owned a female before and am kind of iffy on it.

huntergreen 05-21-2014 08:44 AM

far from an expert, but for me it doesn't really matter. there some differences, but none that were a such a huge difference that i would prefer one sex over the other.

LaRen616 05-21-2014 08:57 AM

I much prefer males and I will always have multiple males but at some point I want a Doberman and I will have to get a female because Dobermans have a problem with male/male aggression. Luckily for me, I know 3 female Dobermans and I like them all so I think I will be just fine with getting one.

I had a female GSD, we didn't bond and she wasn't velcro with me and would have happily have left with someone else. I am female and I am a believer in "male dogs get along better with female owners" and "female dogs get along better with male owners." It's just what I have personally seen and I believe it is true, of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

If you prefer males and would rather get a male than a female then get a male.

Shade 05-21-2014 09:00 AM

Opposite sex pairings always have a higher chance of succeeding when there's only two involved. There are males and females that get along better with same sex, but those are a lower minority. If the breeder is recommending a female I would go with their recommendation

Personally I prefer male dogs as well but I focus on pack harmony above all. Right now I have a male and a female so if I added a third dog technically I could get either sex but knowing my two dogs I would get a female simply because my male is dog friendly and will want to interact while my female couldn’t care less.

devinh 05-21-2014 09:20 AM

I have always had female dogs. I had 1 male Australian shepherd and **** he was a HEADACHE. My last dog a female APBT was awesome. And my female GSD puppy is just as awesome. I have just preferred female dogs for some reason.

Tim&Marth 05-21-2014 09:33 AM

Our female GSD shows absolutely no signs of the rules you listed above. She is tethered to my hip at all times, my face and ears have never been cleaner from her affection and her role as a protector is something she does very well.

My best word of advice, go with the dog that you bond with the most. I had no intention of choosing a female until we saw how affection our gal was. The male we originally set out to visit wanted nothing to do with us and was more interested in rolling around in grass.