German Shepherd Sable. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default German Shepherd Sable.

Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if a German Shepherd Dog in the sable color way, would still grow really big, like a GSD in a saddle, or blanket back color way. Thanks!
keikotheshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sable is a color. It has nothing to do with the size of the dog. The only things that determine size are the size of the dogs behind a dog. So if a pups parents are both over 100lb, then your likelihood of getting a big dog is better than if they were both 75 lbs. color is irrelevant to their size.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Sable is a color. It has nothing to do with the size of the dog. The only things that determine size are the size of the dogs behind a dog. So if a pups parents are both over 100lb, then your likelihood of getting a big dog is better than if they were both 75 lbs. color is irrelevant to their size.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
i would say if you never saw the parents and you just had to make a guess. a sable is more likely to have an immediate or at least recent lineage to working line than a common show line black and tan and might be slightly smaller than the oversized beast of the black and tan i usually see.

"Working dogs also tend to be smaller on average than what many members of the public consider to be 'normal' for German Shepherd Dog, which in fact means that they are closer to the breed standard. Many North American pet GSDs are in fact oversized, as are many dogs from both the American and German show lines." (Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels )
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Now you know that sable is a color, not a type. My sable shepherd, Pyrate, was 110 at his healthiest weight. His parents were 115 and 120 but I kept him at a lower weight on purpose as he had bad hips amongst many other health problems. My other girl, Raina, is at ideal weight at 89 pounds - right now we are dieting to lose 5 pounds she gained over the winter but I think she has about gotten back to her good weight of 89. Ideally check the blood lines of the sire and dam.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
i would say if you never saw the parents and you just had to make a guess. A sable is more likely to have an immediate or at least recent lineage to working line than a common show line black and tan and might be slightly smaller than the oversized beast of the black and tan i usually see.

"working dogs also tend to be smaller on average than what many members of the public consider to be 'normal' for german shepherd dog, which in fact means that they are closer to the breed standard. Many north american pet gsds are in fact oversized, as are many dogs from both the american and german show lines." (types of german shepherds, by wildhaus kennels )
agreed!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikotheshepherd View Post
Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if a German Shepherd Dog in the sable color way, would still grow really big, like a GSD in a saddle, or blanket back color way. Thanks!
This is a breed that, in general, isn't going to get "really big"- regardless of color As others have said, the only way to get some idea is to look at the parents... but even then, nothing is set in stone. I have a male who is out of small parents and is a moose, and a female out of moderately sized parents and is a peanut.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

why would you want a "really big" german shepherd ?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Crimes Send a message via Skype™ to Crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
"Working dogs also tend to be smaller on average than what many members of the public consider to be 'normal' for German Shepherd Dog, which in fact means that they are closer to the breed standard. Many North American pet GSDs are in fact oversized, as are many dogs from both the American and German show lines." (Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels )

Ain't that the truth!
Apollo is a working German Shepherd, and I can't TELL you how many people come up to us and remark about how 'small he is for a shepherd!' And about how the one they used to have was so much bigger. No. He's actually breed standard size, and I happen to think he's perfect.

You should NOT be getting a German Shepherd (or any animal) for the sole expectation of having a big dog to impress people with. German Shepherds are loyal and hard working, and regardless of size, are fiercely protective of their families.
Crimes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.