Leash holding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Leash holding

I do not have a particular way of what side to walk a dog. The dog and I are completely comfortable on either right or left side. In that since a both righty and lefty when it comes to handling dogs on leashes. I don't see the big deal of people being particular holding leashes on a specific side. For example, besides if a dog coming my way and anticipate the dog and the oncoming dog coming my way. First, put the dog on the opposite side and cross to the other side of path, street, crosswalk, etc. Another example, on bike path or trail dog is on the opposite of potential danger. That's when I have an advantages to help him/her avoid such as oncoming bikes, dogs, cars, people, etc. Do you have a particular way or perference holding leashes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't. I just hold the end of the leash and let them sniff around on either side. If they start pulling, I keep a tight leash on my left side.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

If we are specifically heeling, of course the left side is where Raina walks. If we are on a loose leash walk, she walks beside me, in front of me, or either side as long as she keeps the lead loose. I do step off the path for people coming toward me with dogs or on bicycles because it seems like the safer thing to do for my dog. You never know what level of training other people have with their dogs - you can get a hint by the dog's behavior and the way they are holding the leash, but I mostly try to avoid going dog face to dog face if possible. Bicycles can be scary if they get too close, because the person may suddenly fall or swerve. The dog can be hit or have its foot run over and then you have another issue - fear of bicycles.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't have any evidence on this, it was what one of the trainers I went to told the class. But the best side to walk your dog on is the left. The reason is, and she told us this was researched and proven, that a dog for some reason can read the left side of your face better than your right side. I guess it's your expression. Now what that has really to do with walking a dog, I can't answer that. She never went into detail on it and I never researched it on line. But if I get time, I think I will. So we learned to walk on both sides. But primarily the left.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Charlie walks on my right hand side, But now i've just read that they read left better i will try it.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

my trainer told me right/left in front or behind is good as long as the leash is loose. Left is more for showing ...at least that is what she said.
I have a weaver..she stays with me but weaves. Until she's tired and then she's a dead on heeler
lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just so the leash is loose either side is fine my girl is trained on both sides, in line with my body.... And to switch on command..... That way she is engaged on the entire walk, bit that's more of a personal preference. I like to keep her on her toes at our park because unfortunately off leash dogs are a big problem

Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo220 View Post
I don't have any evidence on this, it was what one of the trainers I went to told the class. But the best side to walk your dog on is the left. The reason is, and she told us this was researched and proven, that a dog for some reason can read the left side of your face better than your right side. I guess it's your expression. Now what that has really to do with walking a dog, I can't answer that. She never went into detail on it and I never researched it on line. But if I get time, I think I will. So we learned to walk on both sides. But primarily the left.

OK, now I'm confused. I found some research that states they read the right side of the face not the left. I swear the trainer said the left side. She either read a different study or she misunderstood or I missed something she said that went with this. Oh well, it's interesting either way. Here's the link......It will explain it more if interested.

What is Left Gaze Bias? How Does It Relate to Dogs? | Canidae Blog

I still walk my dog on the left primarily. It's just how we were trained to do it and it's what we're more programed to do.
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i was taught, left side for "at heel".
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I walk Roxy right side when we are walking at our local riverfront..that is because it's that side that is the grass and where we duck when we are about to be run over by inconsiderate bike riders.
lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.