German Shepherds Forum banner

Leash holding

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Lobobear44 
#1 ·
I do not have a particular way of what side to walk a dog. The dog and I are completely comfortable on either right or left side. In that since a both righty and lefty when it comes to handling dogs on leashes. I don't see the big deal of people being particular holding leashes on a specific side. For example, besides if a dog coming my way and anticipate the dog and the oncoming dog coming my way. First, put the dog on the opposite side and cross to the other side of path, street, crosswalk, etc. Another example, on bike path or trail dog is on the opposite of potential danger. That's when I have an advantages to help him/her avoid such as oncoming bikes, dogs, cars, people, etc. Do you have a particular way or perference holding leashes?

#3 ·
If we are specifically heeling, of course the left side is where Raina walks. If we are on a loose leash walk, she walks beside me, in front of me, or either side as long as she keeps the lead loose. I do step off the path for people coming toward me with dogs or on bicycles because it seems like the safer thing to do for my dog. You never know what level of training other people have with their dogs - you can get a hint by the dog's behavior and the way they are holding the leash, but I mostly try to avoid going dog face to dog face if possible. Bicycles can be scary if they get too close, because the person may suddenly fall or swerve. The dog can be hit or have its foot run over and then you have another issue - fear of bicycles.

#4 ·
I don't have any evidence on this, it was what one of the trainers I went to told the class. But the best side to walk your dog on is the left. The reason is, and she told us this was researched and proven, that a dog for some reason can read the left side of your face better than your right side. I guess it's your expression. Now what that has really to do with walking a dog, I can't answer that. She never went into detail on it and I never researched it on line. But if I get time, I think I will. So we learned to walk on both sides. But primarily the left.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
I don't have any evidence on this, it was what one of the trainers I went to told the class. But the best side to walk your dog on is the left. The reason is, and she told us this was researched and proven, that a dog for some reason can read the left side of your face better than your right side. I guess it's your expression. Now what that has really to do with walking a dog, I can't answer that. She never went into detail on it and I never researched it on line. But if I get time, I think I will. So we learned to walk on both sides. But primarily the left.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
OK, now I'm confused. I found some research that states they read the right side of the face not the left. I swear the trainer said the left side. She either read a different study or she misunderstood or I missed something she said that went with this. Oh well, it's interesting either way. Here's the link......It will explain it more if interested.

What is Left Gaze Bias? How Does It Relate to Dogs? | Canidae Blog

I still walk my dog on the left primarily. It's just how we were trained to do it and it's what we're more programed to do.

#11 ·
I believe its left because the left side is more practical. In most countries, we walk on the right side of the sidewalk…if the dog is on the left, this means the dog is between you and others for protection. I’m not a “everyone is out there to kill me” person, but it makes sense for your dog to be between you and a stranger when you’re passing on the street.

Also, if you hold a leash in your left hand, when you see someone, you can stop and shake hands without changing leash hands.

Most things that happen in trials or shows, have a practical reason. Even if the practical reason is hard to grasp or figure out in this day and age…at some point it was put in there because there was a reason for it.

#13 ·
Since I've had dogs for a long time and have always taught them obedience, it's natural for me to have my dog on the left even if we're not doing formal heeling. However, we work on BOTH sides for agility as it will be necessary for him to be comfortable being on either side.

#14 ·
I walk Apollo with a harness, and on a short leash for better control, even if he really doesn't pull much.
That forces him to 'stay on his side' as I like to put it, when he tries to cross over. Usually it's the right side, simply because I'm right handed, and it's just more natural for me. I like to keep everything consistent for Apollo as much as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.