German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Dog ate cat poop. Make him induce vomiting? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/451321-dog-ate-cat-poop-make-him-induce-vomiting.html)

scottkeen 05-18-2014 03:21 AM

Dog ate cat poop. Make him induce vomiting?

This is after-the-fact, but I'd like to know for next time.

My 2.5 year old GSD eats cat poop given the opportunity.

I'd like to know if it's a good idea to immediately get him to induce vomiting.

Ruger ate cat poop today, and I panicked, knowing that about the last time he did this he got an intestinal parasite and had bloody diarrhea IN MY HOUSE for 4 days before I got him on anti-biotics and it still took almost a week for him to get normal and regular. So today when he ate cat poop, I rushed to find directions to induce vomiting which was to give him 10 tsp of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% per 10 lbs of body weight. Ruger is 87 lbs, so I gave him 8 tsp mixed with honey in a syringe then took him on a walk right away. Sure enough, a few minutes later he vomited his stomach contents including what looked like several cat turds. Ruger was fine for the rest of the walk, and was happy as usual. I gave him his treat and a couple of spoons of pumpkin when we got home, and he drank plenty of water.

I'm hopeful that we avoided perhaps another intestinal parasite and a week of bloody diarrhea by making him vomit up the cat poop within 30 minutes of consuming it.

Just wanted to check if this is what should be done when the dog eats cat poop.

BorderKelpie 05-18-2014 04:37 AM

I guess for stray animal poop, that;s a good preventative protocol. Is he on monthly heartworm preventative? Most also help with internal parasites.

On top of that, teach him a good 'Leave it!' and watch him closely.

Oh, and don't let him kiss you after kitty crunchy snacks. lol My dogs always seem to want to share - *shudder*

Harry and Lola 05-18-2014 04:49 AM

My 2 GSDs will eat cat poop and kangaroo poop at any opportunity.

I wouldn't induce vomiting, just remove the cat poop regularly or block off the area where the kitty litter is so he can't get to it.

Freestep 05-18-2014 12:43 PM

No, please don't induce vomiting. Poop-eating is normal and natural for dogs, as disgusting as it is to us. Dogs can pick up worms eating other animal's poo, but other than that, it's pretty harmless. I know it's gross, but it's part of having a dog, so the best you can do is train and enforce a "leave it" command and discourage your dog from eating poop by covering litter boxes and keeping dogs out of areas where they may find delicious morsels. :)

If your dog got a parasite from eating cat poop, you should also treat your cats for the parasite.

SummerGSDLover 05-18-2014 12:45 PM

mmmm kitty roca :D

*-*Summer*-*

Wicked Seraphim 05-19-2014 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 5532434)
mmmm kitty roca :D

*-*Summer*-*

Lol! That's what we call it at our house!

We have Savannah cats and they produce these huge mondo giant tootsie roll sized poo's that once lightly dusted in fragrant kitty litter of the finest quality can surely only be equivalent to the classy kitty roca of which you give a nod to.... only imagine them in grande size for the large breed dog. :wild:

My dog quivers with delight when she gets the opportunity to snatch up one of these fine rarities to crunch on for a bit before I scream like a banshee "you have a dirty mouth!!!" and run after her with her minty breath rinse, which she hates. :p

CelticGlory 05-27-2014 11:29 PM

I would worry more about the litter that is consumed when they do it! But not the cat poop itself.

jocoyn 05-27-2014 11:41 PM

I am glad Beau is repulsed by poo of all types :). I have had poop eaters, though. He did bring me a cat turd as a present once..pulled it out of the box and dropped it at my feet. As if to say "how come SHE gets to do this in the house?"

I would be more concerned about the super absorbent litter (corn based) than the actual poo. I normally give probiotics to keep his system in balance though.

hunterisgreat 05-28-2014 12:02 AM

Thank god poop is kryptonite to jager

Jäger hates poop - YouTube

Chip18 05-28-2014 01:02 AM

I think it is the clumping cat liter that can be very bad news! Is moving or restricting his access to the litter box viable??